RDL first impression

Thread: RDL first impression

RDL first impression

Well yesterday I received the new RDL seat that was custom made for me. Installed it and rode to work this morning, about a 30 minute ride.
    Besides almost being run over by a car switching lanes not seeing me or using a turn signal to indicate the switch which puckered me up the seat felt pretty comfortable.
    It does set me up higher but gives more support to the under side.
    I do have a longer reach to the bars, my arms are extended more and that is a concern.
    Not sure if I'm sitting back further or the reach is further because I'm sitting higher or a bit of both.
    I'll give it the break in period before I judge.

Remember the RDL has a break in period. Once you've reached that, you might need to adjust your bars or give though to Heli Bars. In my mind, RDL & Heli Bars are the best money you'll spend on your bike.

I have an RDL on my Super Tenere, and I had my doubts about the seat to begin with. The longer I’ve ridden with it, the better I like it. Clearly needs a substantial break in time.
    Ralph Hanson
    “Proceed as the way opens,” William Least Heat Moon
    2015 Suzuki DR650 (Lil’ Putt)

Not saying I am but spending that much on a seat one does not want to be disappointed. I'll give it some time to break in and for me to adjust to the difference. By the time I get to Cherokee N.C. the end of August it should be well broke in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickc View Post
    Well yesterday I received the new RDL seat that was custom made for me. Installed it and rode to work this morning, about a 30 minute ride.
    Besides almost being run over by a car switching lanes not seeing me or using a turn signal to indicate the switch which puckered me up the seat felt pretty comfortable.
    I do have a longer reach to the bars, my arms are extended more and that is a concern.
    Not sure if I'm sitting back further or the reach is further because I'm sitting higher or a bit of both.
    Rickc: If after a fair break in period you do not find it to your liking, I might be interested in taking a look at it. What size person was it made for and what stitch pattern did you get? I'm just down the road a piece in Ft. Wayne so meeting should not be a problem. I'm short & heavy so I would need one made for that. I'm currently on an Ultimate King Rider, maybe something could be worked out. I've had an RDL on another bike and realize it needs some time. If you aren't satisfied, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Rickc View Post
    The RDL will compress about 5% in time and if you want to pull the bars back a little I used the show chrome risers https://www.amazon.com/Show-Chrome-A.../dp/B000GZPX5G. I kept them on even after putting the Helibars on and they worked perfectly. Give yourself 500-1000 miles before making any assessment and you'll see it is the best $ and upgrade you could have done. With the stock seat you can't wait to get low on gas so you can get off and stretch but the RDL makes you wish you had a bigger tank, 10 hours no problem.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Give it time for the new seat to conform to you.

Then if needed I have a set of MLB Risers for sale. Check the classifieds

MBL 1803S version, UP ¾”, BACK 1½” and IN 2 1/4”, all hardware included $55
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.