5 wk N.America adventure. 8 to 10K Miles - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5 wk N.America adventure. 8 to 10K Miles

Well written and a joy to read. Thanks.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Thanks for sharing...can feel the ride in your details!
    PS: LaCrosse is a fun town..

UPDATE: Visited Henry Ford Museum today (Fri 8.16) Being a former History teacher - and history buff of course, this venue is always a joy.

Ok, 5 or 6K miles into my trip, so had the oil changed this a.m. at GEN THE HONDA POWERSPORTS in Southgate, MI. Allen (Head of Service) took me in right away. Wanted Mixed Blend but he only had synthetic - which he gave me at Mixed Blend price. Thank you Allen. Shifter had become a little stiff, so he took off the shifter cover and lubed up the shifter for me too. Viola - shifts like it just left the factory. And, no extra charge. Thank you again Allen. sir!!

New Hwys for me. After I left Glacier National Park last week (which btw, they have a fire that I believe has grown to 3,500 plus acres), I dropped off my doctor ladyfriend at the Glacier Int Airport (Kalispell) then rode north on Hwy 2 to hwy 95/ 2 to the Canada Border xing at Porthill. Cars and trucks on these hwys were minimal - at best. Virtually non-existent - had the hwys and Kootenai National forest to myself. Truly sublime. Immersed in endless miles of aromatic pine /spruce trees. Was in a tank top / no helmet most of this ride - until xing into Alberta Canada. This xing I believe is only open 9 or 10 a.m. to 11ish p.m.

From here I rode West on Canada hwy 3 over to Osoyoos, then North to Penticton. All 2 lane blacktops. Keep in mind - the weather was absolutely PERFECT. Rode joyously for hours upon hours upon hours. This area in Canada is where most of Cunucks to summer vacations. This region is the desert of Canada. Pull over and go for a swim in the lakes - and then continue on. Osoyoos is lots of farming and stone fruits. Penticton up to Kelowna is an abundance of wineries. Also jet boats, houseboats, sea-doos fill the region this time of year too.

Other tips: Stayed at The La Quinta in Great Falls, MT. Hotel staff upgraded us to a family suite on the 2nd floor overlooking the river. My lady and I definitely made good use of the Jacuzzi tub. Had dinner at the Celtic Cowboy. Great Bar/ Restaurant with lively atmosphere, large assortment of locally crafted beers on tap, 4 piece band singing. Rack of lamb - damn it was decadent and delicious. Dropped off the bones.

AT GLACIER: We stayed at GLACIER INN MOTEL in Columbia Falls. Now this place doesn't look like much but the rooms are EXTREMELY CLEAN. Shower - powerful. Very quiet motel and the owners were a gem - super nice people. The rates were excellent ($ 125 ish). They were completely booked too (had booked this place a month ago). Dinner? We walked into a Mexican restaurant called Vaqueros. Though it was completely renovated - it's openly attached to a dive bar (normally I'm down w/ it but this dive bar filled w/ toothless locals - just had a certain vibe telling me I should leave - so we did.) Ventured down the road to an outdoor patio place (Damn, can't remember the name) BUT, we had a 3 rib sampler plate - whewwwwww, very good.
    Last edited by adventurous1; 08-17-2018 at 07:22 PM.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne