29. You may not vote on this poll
  • LED

25 86.21%
  • HID

4 13.79%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LED vs HID

LED vs HID

I’m looking for feedback from users of either LED or HID headlight replacements. I just installed Tridium fogs and am impressed with the pure white the fogs throw compared to stock headlight. Now I feel compelled to upgrade my headlights as well.

I’m looking for feeedback on the following:

1. Beam pattern
    2. Effective distance
    3. Longevity
    4. Ease of install

Thanks all in advance for your feedback.
    2016 F6B Matte Grey
    2016 XDiavel (Sadly...gone)
    2014 M109r (FHD Classic) (Sadly...gone)
    2014 VRSCF (Gone)
    2006 VTX 1300C (Gone)

"I find as I get older that I have less and less to say about more and more. I thought I was mellowing as I got older, turns out I just don’t give a sh1t.”

I stall Pathfinder's this spring. I only drove once at night so far during the day they are Bright. The beam at night is wider and higher you can see the power lines but I don't think they shine as far as the OEM's but I need to drive more at night to be sure.
    I thought they were easy to install just took a little time.
    Here is a picture of 3 LED's installed

Last edited by JackB; 07-31-2018 at 06:29 AM.

Have the LED's and I like that they look good and are more visible than stock but I do not believe they put out more light. Dont ride at night often but they do not seem to cover the area with light like the oem's.

I had a 14 Valkyrie with LED lights. The F6B is Superior in illumination compared to the LED setup the F6C had.

Having worked in the lighting industry for the emergency vehicle industry, I will give you my 2 cents worth.

LED has no filament to break, as they are solid state.
    HID consume large amounts of power and desepate large amounts of heat form their power consumption. HID takes time to come on, they are not instant like LED's

LED has a life expectancy of 50K hours HID are rated 2000-3000 hours and are not solid state. Plus the vibration of the road is hard on them, causing them to break down faster.
    HID is much more to install as you have more components to hide and wire, including a large driver.

LED is the right way to go as far as light quality and brightness (kelvin). While HID's may be brighter, they are a whiter light, and can be hard to see at times from an approaching vehicle, unless you are right in direct line of sight.

Emergency vehicles mostly spec LED now, why? Visibility not only to see, but to be seen...Hence, LED is the way to go today.

My 2013 f6b lights up the road better than any car I ever had.
    ITS ALL GOOD

That is what I was thinking about my stock halogen F6B even compared to my car which has LED lighting.

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    My 2013 f6b lights up the road better than any car I ever had.

1A0E6634-DE08-4148-8E86-738CC0528B41.jpg3582CE1C-D0CF-4161-9BDD-FD10929E83B4.jpg

I installed the SoCal LED’s more to BE SEEN by others during the day than for me to see better at night.
    I love them,

Even Helen Keller would see you coming. That looks great!
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by Radical Taz View Post
    1A0E6634-DE08-4148-8E86-738CC0528B41.jpg3582CE1C-D0CF-4161-9BDD-FD10929E83B4.jpg

I installed the SoCal LED’s more to BE SEEN by others during the day than for me to see better at night.
    I love them,

That would cause trouble where I am at. The number of lights illuminated is illegal in the U.S. Someone might swerve coming at you or slam on their brakes when you are behind. Just pisses people off. Not something you would want to do on a motorcycle.