Air Pressure/Tire Wear question

Thread: Air Pressure/Tire Wear question

Air Pressure/Tire Wear question

After reading the posts about some folks getting up to 20,000 miles on sets of tires, I am trying to figure out how to get there. I am running Dunlap E4's, and have just over 10,000 on them, and will need a set (at least back) soon. My tires wear right in the middle, a pretty narrow strip (except of course until I get in the twisties and get my hellacious chicken strips...not far from the center). I run 42psi rear and 41psi front. I am wondering if I lowered the pressures a bit, if that would allow more tire area to contact the ground, and possibly get a little more wear out of the tires?

I started a thread a while ago about how every air gauge gives me a different reading, so who knows how much we are really putting in our tires. Perhaps mine are over inflated? Would lowering the pressures actually help more tread make contact with the pavement, and extend the life of the tire, at least in theory, or would it eat it up faster?
    Last edited by STRaider; 07-31-2018 at 08:20 PM.

I found an article that does not answer your question, but does explain how to read a tire. I found it informative and it cleared up some of my questions. I think that the quality/ type of the highways in your region would also have an impact on your tire wear.

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/h...tire-sidewall/

I think we're all worried about the center chicken stripe. You might try a different brand tire. I normally get at least 17k out of my rear AVONs had one go almost 20K. You might not get that, you might get more. AVON makes a tire just for the GW, all AVON USA & get the AVON P/N before you order. AVON suggest 42R - 40F I found my best deal from Dennis Kirk. I can't speak to other brands as AVON has given me great service on several bikes since 2005.

Alas,
    The old site's search function is now but a treasure of lost experience.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

I generally run about 40/41 psi in the rear tire and 38/39 in the front...Had to change from the OEM's at about 9500 miles due to a nail in the rear tire so I changed both..Current E-4's have about 6500 miles on them are wearing great in my humble opinion....Regards and ride safe

Heat is the big enemy of tire life. Vehicle manufacturers recommended pressures are a compromise of comfort and handling characteristics. When you run a tire at lower pressures, the sidewalls flex more and generate heat causing decomposition of the rubber over time. Running more pressure but not more than the tire makers recommendations on the sidewall will generally give a longer tread life at the expense of a comfortable ride because the sidewalls are not flexing as much as the tire rolls. I run 40F & 42R and got 16,000 from my OEM's and could have got more. I changed to Avons running the same pressures and now have about 4,000 on them with no noticeable wear. Of course aggressive riding and road surface also has an effect.
    After the OEM's on my Valkyrie puked out at 7500 miles(I was running Honda's recommended PSI) I started running 40F-42R in the following 6 sets of tires(various brands)and always got 20,000 miles from them.

Heat is the big enemy of tire life. Vehicle manufacturers' recommended pressures are a compromise of comfort and handling characteristics. When you run a tire at lower pressures, the sidewalls flex more and generate heat causing decomposition of the rubber over time. Running more pressure but not more than the tire makers' recommendations on the sidewall will generally give a longer tread life at the expense of a comfortable ride because the sidewalls are not flexing as much as the tire rolls. I run 40F & 42R and got 16,000 from my OEM's and could have got more. I changed to Avons running the same pressures and now have about 4,000 on them with no noticeable wear. Of course aggressive riding and road surface also has an effect.
    After the OEM's on my Valkyrie puked out at 7500 miles(I was running Honda's recommended PSI) I started running 40F-42R in the following 6 sets of tires(various brands)and always got 20,000 miles from them.

Quote Originally Posted by six2go View Post
    Heat is the big enemy of tire life. Vehicle manufacturers' recommended pressures are a compromise of comfort and handling characteristics. When you run a tire at lower pressures, the sidewalls flex more and generate heat causing decomposition of the rubber over time. Running more pressure but not more than the tire makers' recommendations on the sidewall will generally give a longer tread life at the expense of a comfortable ride because the sidewalls are not flexing as much as the tire rolls. I run 40F & 42R and got 16,000 from my OEM's and could have got more. I changed to Avons running the same pressures and now have about 4,000 on them with no noticeable wear. Of course aggressive riding and road surface also has an effect.
    Sorry for the double post, couldn't get it to delete.

No worries. That was an excellent post.

I have been through 2 sets of stones, and one set of E4s, working on the 2nd set.
    Currently at 83k on the clock.
    I'm an air pressure fanatic.
    41 in the rear.
    Was 40, but now 38 in front since the Traxxion upgrade.
    Before every ride, if it is not that according to my FOBO, I fire up the air compressor and make it so.

I too am wearing out the middles before the edges, but many trips to Dallas from NW FL to visit parents will do that.
    I'm actually finding that I like the E4 in the rear for the treadwear and tar snake management, and the Bridgestone up front for rain traction.
    I know most people will not mix brands, but that E4 in the rear does a GREAT job and there is nothing better than the Bridgestone for rain traction.
    My $0.02.
    Your Mileage Shall Vary
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce