Ride through AK, BC, Yukon Territory

Thread: Ride through AK, BC, Yukon Territory

Ride through AK, BC, Yukon Territory

My wife and I enjoyed our five year anniversary and ten years together by taking an Alaskan cruise.

As many know, cruises dock at several ports during their journey, where passengers can get off and explore a new place on land for a day.

When docked in Skagway, AK, I rented a motorcycle and spent the morning riding 100 miles out of southeast Alaska, into the northwestern corner of British Columbia and into the Yukon Territory on the Klondike Highway.

(To be honest, I just crossed the border into Yukon and turned around).

The ride itself was beautiful - I was really surprised at the condition of the road - it was very smooth. Parts were gravel and dirt, but 45 mph was easy and safe to maintain on it. The scenery just would not stop. It was almost surreal. Temperatures dipped over a mountain pass, and I could swear it started to snow a little bit (it was July 16).

Here is a link to the pics:

https://imgur.com/a/SmlATJt

The bike I chose was a new experience as well. It was a 2014 Kawasaki KLR650, an entry level dual-purpose. I thought it was a twin at first, but it is a single cylinder - and I had no idea that a road bike, or dual purpose, was sold with a single (outside of 'peds).

A quick review / comparison to my F6B, a bike I know better than any other:

---Quite a different handling bike than F6B, I will say. It is a light bike (500 lbs lighter than the Honda), and it was very nimble....yet, tippy, due to its height. I feel more comfortable pushing the lean on the F6B than I did on the Kawi. However, in town turns sub-20 mph, were almost bicycle-like with the Kawi.

---The bike wasn't slow, but throttle response from the carbed single was dull and ATV-like. A lot of massaging of the throttle was required for a smooth start in 1st without stalling. Overall power was adequate, but after two 1100 V-twins and an 1800 flat-six, I forgot what it was like to actually twist the throttle to get going. RPM at 60 mph was 4200, but, surprisingly, the one big piston kept its composure in the form of low vibration and noise.

---The visibility from the cockpit was freakin' awesome. Not since my 1982 Suzook GS have I seen so much road in front of me. A windscreen the size of a Bed, Bath and Beyond coupon provided enough wind protection (more than it looked), but it was a lot noisier behind it than the serene existence behind our Wings' fairings and Ragestad windshields.

---The ride was the best of any motorcycle I have ever ridden. It was very soft, but this translated into bump absorption ability that I have never experienced on two wheels. Lots of shock travel must allow for this. This entry level Kawi offers ride quality significantly better than our B's.

---On the gravel portion of the Klondike, I felt the huge difference between road tires and even mild hybrid on/off road tires. They gripped gravel, even loose gravel on shoulders and in parking areas, as if it were pavement.

So, a great trip overall, with this neat ride event peppered in along with several other once/twice in a lifetime experiences.
    Last edited by VStarRider; 08-02-2018 at 06:33 PM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Sounds super!
    I'm going to get an adult beverage and check out the pics!

I am one week away from our Alaskan Cruise. Loved the pix. I promised to stay with the wife for the cruise so we have excursions booked together so no bike during cruise but i ship my bike today to Tacoma where i will pick it up after the cruise and head to Cortez. But I know when we hit Skagway I will be thinking of your ride and be jealous as hell.

GaTeach
    Oh how cool. What a dream vacation.

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    I am one week away from our Alaskan Cruise. Loved the pix. I promised to stay with the wife for the cruise so we have excursions booked together so no bike during cruise but i ship my bike today to Tacoma where i will pick it up after the cruise and head to Cortez. But I know when we hit Skagway I will be thinking of your ride and be jealous as hell.
    I can't wait to hear how this goes!!!

This Tuesday the bike gets shipped to London Heathrow for a 2 month, 'round western Europe trip. Could have some stories to tell when we get back....

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    This Tuesday the bike gets shipped to London Heathrow for a 2 month, 'round western Europe trip. Could have some stories to tell when we get back....
    I am ALL ears for the transport/logistics portion of this trip!

You both will absolutely love it. The difference between this cruise and Caribbean cruises is the non-stop scenery...and not just in Alaska! My wife watched the Seattle skyline and Mt. Rainier slowly fade behind the ship as we steamed out to the Pacific through the Puget Sound. This was one of several stretches of just watching in awe for several hours at a time.

Advice: get up early and claim a lounger when cruising into Juneau, and especially Skagway. Bring binoculars!!!
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

When you rented the bike did you also rent the helmet and jackets?

When you rented the bike did you also rent the helmet and jackets?
    Yes, but there was no additional charge for those items.
    Former Ride:
    Latest Addition:
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6