Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The most philosophically soothing thread I've read.
    Riding solo lets you make peace with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJT View Post
    A-men!

I bought my bike to get away from people. But in your case I think I'd just ask if I could make all the arrangements. that way you can enjoy yourself and your friend without stressing.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJT View Post
    Thats a great line! I too enjoy solo riding 95% of the time. Where to, when to stop, how fast/slow to go, all me. But on those long multi day rides it sure is nice knowing that you have someone with you that has your back...just in case. You lose some autonomy but add some "peace of mind". Plus it comforts the wife knowing you are not out there alone.

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Thats a great line! I too enjoy solo riding 95% of the time. Where to, when to stop, how fast/slow to go, all me. But on those long multi day rides it sure is nice knowing that you have someone with you that has your back...just in case. You lose some autonomy but add some "peace of mind". Plus it comforts the wife knowing you are not out there alone.
    Because I mostly travel alone and because I'm likely to be purposefully lost, I use the app GLYMPSE a lot. It gives me peace of mind and it gives those who love me peace of mind. And you turn off the "show speed" toggle.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    Because I mostly travel alone and because I'm likely to be purposefully lost, I use the app GLYMPSE a lot. It gives me peace of mind and it gives those who love me peace of mind. And you turn off the "show speed" toggle.
    Definitely need your speed toggled off for their peace of mind.....lolol

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    This is also true. And the only downside to the trip out to Colorado is my wife's anxiety.

I have a tracker on my bike and my wife can go on the internet site and see where I am time. My tracker sends a signal every 15 minutes and when my wife checks she sees a flag on the map showing my location within the last 15 minutes. When I take a break I hit a button on the tracker and it sends a message to her cell phone telling her I am taking a break. If you are interested it is a Spot Tracker III and the website is "Find Me Spot". It gives my wife a lot of peace of mind

Az Wingrider

I also use an app called "Eat. Sleep. Ride." It's a ride tracker, and others can also follow your progress, but also has crash detection that you can purchase an annual subscription for, Crashlight they call it. You pre-set contacts and if it detects a crash an alarm goes off on the app and you have XX seconds (I think it's 20) to hit an "I'm ok" button. Otherwise it'll send a crash detection notification to your preset contacts and also include your precise location so they can alert emergency services. I'll probably subscribe to it if only for the purpose of the trip out to the rally. Should help ease they SO's anxieties.

As a Basic Rider Course Coach, we discuss the concepts of long trip planning. Not that one has to have gas station & potty breaks mapped out to a specific minute, but gas in Nebraska "can" be scarce if you have a 3 gallon tank!

Most trips begin with a "concept" - which you alluded too.
    A tentative route is agreed upon by all parties. Tentative because yes, trips do evolve as opportunities present themselves.
    Then bike logistics are discussed and prepped for. Will the trip require new tires before or during? Oil changes? Any other maintenance before or during? Spare one gallon gas cans on the back?
    Then a start date is cemented in place.
    Then people start dropping out for various reasons - family issues, bike issues, personal health, work, etc.
    Final deliberate planning should be about one week prior with those who remain standing. This would include overnight stopping points, lodging, and chow.

As you discovered, many people don't think this far ahead - especially if they think they will have cell phone signal and unlimited use of plastic along the way.
    Some remote stations only take cash - and a lot of it.
    Some remote "cowboy motels" only take cash too.

Best of luck.
    Final thought: there is no interest like self-interest.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce