Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social? - Page 4
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social?

There is something that is refreshing to the soul when I ride alone. No GPS. Shut the cell phone off. Get out of town and just go exploring.

And the F6B is the tool for doing just what suites me. With an iPod 160 in the saddle bag, filled with 70's Rock and connected to a pair of Shure 215 earbuds lets me totally enjoy the road. Many times I will head out on a Friday and not return home until late Sunday night.

Riding with someone, even my wife as a passenger, always becomes a compromise.

Here is my take, and no offense to the women who might read this, but I think the interest in solo riding is influenced by our gender. Guys, on average, especially as they get older, have less close friends, compared to women. and for the most part, I think we're okay with that. It bugs my wife when I won't do couple things with some of the people in our neighborhood; women that she's good friends with who are married to guys I have nothing in common with. I'd much rather be out on the B, or mowing the yard, or playing with the dogs, or floating in the pool, compared to forced silly conversations. Rides are pretty much the same, my wife doesn't ride, and there are more people that I don't want to ride with than those I do. I solo'd out to the Smokies last year, and had a great time, all by myself.

I too have ridden quite a few miles solo and its not such a big deal.

It looks like I will solo to Cortez and have done Montana, Idaho and others solo.

Wife worries about me but as long as I feel good about my ride I am good. The alone time

has always been whats made me a thinker and I have always returned a better person for

for the time to just think. Another thing is when you stop to get gas or what ever when you are ready to go

you go.

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    I'm wondering what you got in that coffee, bubba
    Retired life doesn't suck.....

The most philosophically soothing thread I've read.
    Riding solo lets you make peace with yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJT View Post
    A-men!

Quote Originally Posted by PapaJT View Post
    Thats a great line! I too enjoy solo riding 95% of the time. Where to, when to stop, how fast/slow to go, all me. But on those long multi day rides it sure is nice knowing that you have someone with you that has your back...just in case. You lose some autonomy but add some "peace of mind". Plus it comforts the wife knowing you are not out there alone.

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Thats a great line! I too enjoy solo riding 95% of the time. Where to, when to stop, how fast/slow to go, all me. But on those long multi day rides it sure is nice knowing that you have someone with you that has your back...just in case. You lose some autonomy but add some "peace of mind". Plus it comforts the wife knowing you are not out there alone.
    Because I mostly travel alone and because I'm likely to be purposefully lost, I use the app GLYMPSE a lot. It gives me peace of mind and it gives those who love me peace of mind. And you turn off the "show speed" toggle.

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    This is also true. And the only downside to the trip out to Colorado is my wife's anxiety.

I have a tracker on my bike and my wife can go on the internet site and see where I am time. My tracker sends a signal every 15 minutes and when my wife checks she sees a flag on the map showing my location within the last 15 minutes. When I take a break I hit a button on the tracker and it sends a message to her cell phone telling her I am taking a break. If you are interested it is a Spot Tracker III and the website is "Find Me Spot". It gives my wife a lot of peace of mind

Az Wingrider