Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social?

I was on the west coast earlier this summer, riding the 101. Went on a ride that I would never ask others to go with...it started asphalt, roughest pavement, I have ever ridden...went 20 miles and ran into new asphalt..like ok sweet. Another 10 miles I hit gravel and it was not friendly at all, danced for about 20 miles, thinking I should turn around. I hit the back side of the pass (brand new asphalt) and it was the most technical riding I have done in 50 years of riding, made the tail of the dragon look like a kiddy ride. And I was alone, not a car in sight for 35 miles...the only problem was, I came to a t-intersection...and went to the right. Later that day, I met an older indigenous man, and told him where I was. His eyes light up, he said son you are lucky to be alive...I later figured out I was in the Golden Triangle...no wonder I smelled skunk all the time...LOL

I have one friend I ride with when ever I'm in his neck of the woods.
    If I'm out front he's a quarter mile behind me. If I'm bringing up the rear I understand why
    he is so far back.
    I like riding with others but while doing so I still like my room.
    And I have seen it a lot now that I look for it.
    We are such a divided nation with all the BS going on in politics. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it doesn't help.
    I think we are seeing something here that hasn't yet defined itself.
    Or, maybe its always been here.
    It is healing for me to be with friends,,, at a distance.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    I have one friend I ride with when ever I'm in his neck of the woods.
    If I'm out front he's a quarter mile behind me. If I'm bringing up the rear I understand why
    he is so far back.
    I like riding with others but while doing so I still like my room.
    And I have seen it a lot now that I look for it.
    We are such a divided nation with all the BS going on in politics. I don't know if that has anything to do with it but it doesn't help.
    I think we are seeing something here that hasn't yet defined itself.
    Or, maybe its always been here.
    It is healing for me to be with friends,,, at a distance.
    Intersting spin on the solo riding vs. divided nation/politics...

I'll dovetail, but in a different way:
    I think those of us who were raised to be independent and self-sustaining ("first born behavior characteristics") tend to enjoy our alone time more than those of us who were raised in a more dependent lifestyle.
    Most military pilots are first born males - nothing against women or second/third born, just a fact.
    We have had to develop a sense of humor dealing with life and situations when no one was around to support us, or perhaps, our parents were letting us develop on our own rather than hovering and making sure we got a participation trophy.
    Bottom line - we know how to amuse ourselves.
    We don't need "social media" to define our worth and maintain a false self-confidence.
    We don't need politics, television, talking heads (not the band), and sports affiliations advising us on our lifestyle.

We have the best bike ever.
    We - from what I've seen at the rallies - are all mostly very responsible riders and we enjoy getting better.

I think it's always been there.
    It has been passively tolerated until recently.
    Change is imminent and cyclical.

Time for that second cup of coffee....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

This has been a great thread . . . kudos to STRaider for getting it rolling. Have done it all like everyone else has likely ... short solo, long solo and large groups (last time 15 bikes -- well spaced out) which is an experience one should encounter as few times as possible. To me it's total serendipity when you find a riding partner who has desire for same pace, same habits for stops -- photography, air museums and the like -- and who you can talk with over pie at the cafe. So hard to find but so great when you do. Doing more solo these days myself and learning to enjoy it more and more.

Yes, Great thread, thanks to all.
    I too am a bit computer illiterate. Cant get pictures to load.
    Cant get the usb in the trunk to work. Will try and add a dongle to it.
    Sometimes I feel as though a ride is like church. Depends on the mood.
    But then, riding always puts me in a good mood.
    ITS ALL GOOD

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    Yes, Great thread, thanks to all.
    I too am a bit computer illiterate. Cant get pictures to load.
    Cant get the usb in the trunk to work. Will try and add a dongle to it.
    Sometimes I feel as though a ride is like church. Depends on the mood.
    But then, riding always puts me in a good mood.
    Yes! Such fun threads to read and really gives an insight into that solo biker mind. I know people who won't ride solo to the gas station. I'm glad to know I'm not alone in preferring solitude.

Quote Originally Posted by STRaider View Post
    One of my best riding buddies is great on a trip, as he will ride all day, but he requires a turn by turn route. Sometimes I have an area in mind and just want to head that direction, and figure it out on the way (kind of the beautiful thing of riding, IMO), but without a preplanned "great route" (meaning no freeways he has to get on) being planned, he won't go. He needs to know there are enough turns and miles to make it a good enough route to go on. Another rides too fast and wants to cannonball run all day, passing every vehicle and every long line of vehicles we encounter. The only goal is to see how many miles were done at the end of the day, as if distance is the only measure of a good ride. When I do ride with others, it's nice to have bluetooth communications, but my favorite friend to ride with doesn't have it and does 't want it, and resists almost anything that didn't come stock on his f6b, not even highway pegs. He's like an old school rider but almost too much so. One wants to go to the same place every ride. If it's a one day ride, it's to Stephenville for barbcue. Same place, same route, same gas stations, same meal. If it's a weekend trip, it's down south to the same place, same route, same gas stations. I don't mind that sometimes as I just follow and don't have to navigate, just ride and enjoy, but after doing the same exact ride multiple times, it's enough. When I have offered to break from a group and meet up at the destination, it's always "you should ride with us" as if I were breaking up a band or something. One trip a friend if a friend planned, we stayed in a neat, rustic cabin (no tv or cable) that took eight miles of bad, rutty dirt roads to get to, and it was right on a river. We got there after dark, then got up at daybreak, left for our ride, and didn't come back until after dark. I could see the trout in the river before we left and there were poles in the cabin. We never did anything that the cabin and location offered, so why stay in the sticks like that? If we are not going to enjoy the setting, fish, etc, I would rather have stayed at a hitel where we could walk to a restaurant and watch a college football game. One guy was on a kawasaki Vaquero and almost dropped it several times on those horrible dirt roads. But it was this other guy's ride and I was invited, so I just went along. When we would stop for lunch nobody spoke, just looked at their phones. I chatted with some locals. I knew I would have had more fum by myself, and that thought has been lingering for a while now.

For all the great reasons listed in this thread, I am sure I will be making many more solo trips. It's nice to know I'm not alone in enjoying the independence from the group ride and mentality.
    WOW.

I had no idea that there are so many riders who feel the same way I do about riding.

Yes, I enjoy the comradery of a couple of my friends.

But I too like to just go out to the garage, fire up the bike, head to the gas station to fuel up, then down the road I go.

No plan, no destination, just riding. Sometimes just 50 miles. Sometimes 250 miles. (Fortunately, my wife understands)

And yes, I like the 'goodies and gadgets' like my cell phone and my bluetooth devices to get music and local radio stations for weather and such.

But sometimes I just shut it all off and enjoy the surroundings and the ride.

When I told my riding buddies that I was going to the F6B Rally in Cortez this month, they asked who was riding with me.

Surprisingly, when I told them 'no one', they weren't surprised. It's like they understood!

I know what you're thinking. If I like to ride alone, why go to a Rally where there will be dozens of bikers and organized group rides?

Well, I still enjoy meeting and socializing with other bikers.

Getting their input on the F6B and listening to their stories of rides to places I've never been should be interesting.

For those of you who are also going to Cortez... see ya there!
    Last edited by gadgeteer; 08-07-2018 at 08:34 AM.

This thread has been a refreshing read, thanks STRaider for starting it.

I've always enjoyed my alone time regardless of what I'm doing, but even more so when on the bike. Unfortunately I'm not often out riding without at least 1 other bike. I've taken lots of high mileage trips but its always been in a group of 4+ other motorcycles. When talking with my riding buddies about the upcoming trip out to Colorado, they think I'm nuts for going solo; "You'll have no one to talk with at stops", "That'll be lonely", etc. To which the only thing I say is, "That's kind of the point. And why I'm so looking forward to it." I almost always experience some sort of euphoric moment, a revelation, or change in perspective, big or small, when out on a ride, even more so when it's a long trip. And on this trip when I make a pit stop, there'll be no one to take me out of that moment.

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments in this thread, I was beginning to let my friends/coworkers comments second guess myself that my excitement is misplaced. Now I know my feelings and excitement of being solo is not unique. So here's to the peace and solitude of traveling solo while looking forward to the camaraderie and socialization that comes with meeting like-minded individuals. See ya in Cortez!

I also have enjoyed all the responses on this thread. I do most of my rides solo but I also like riding with small groups occasionally. One of the things i really like about riding alone is you are more approachable when you stop. People usually have less hesitation about approaching a lone rider and starting a conversation than they do approaching a group. When I stop for gas and a break it is not uncommon for total strangers to walk up and ask about the bike and the ride. The further you get from home the more approachable you become. Last summer on a ride to the east coast and New England the first question asked was usually "Did you ride that thing all the way from Arizona?" and then the conversation would progress other topics. Most people also would express the desire to be able to take a long trip then tell me why the were unable to. You meet some very interesting people when you travel alone.

I enjoy groups but I ride to see and learn about our great country and riding alone is part of the learning experience.
    Az Wingrider

GaTeach
    Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Intersting spin on the solo riding vs. divided nation/politics...

I think it's always been there.
    It has been passively tolerated until recently.
    Change is imminent and cyclical.

Time for that second cup of coffee....
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I'm wondering what you got in that coffee, bubba