Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Solo ride- Am I turning anti-social?

Nobody wants to ride when I do. So I don't bother asking any more.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    Nobody wants to ride when I do. So I don't bother asking any more.
    Yeah, this retired gig doesn't suck!
    I'm just back yesterday from a 6 day mostly solo ride to "no place special."
    Saw a few friends along the path.
    All goodness.
    Last edited by 53driver; 04-08-2019 at 07:13 PM. Reason: grammar

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    As a Basic Rider Course Coach, we discuss the concepts of long trip planning. Not that one has to have gas station & potty breaks mapped out to a specific minute, but gas in Nebraska "can" be scarce if you have a 3 gallon tank!

Most trips begin with a "concept" - which you alluded too.
    A tentative route is agreed upon by all parties. Tentative because yes, trips do evolve as opportunities present themselves.
    Then bike logistics are discussed and prepped for. Will the trip require new tires before or during? Oil changes? Any other maintenance before or during? Spare one gallon gas cans on the back?
    Then a start date is cemented in place.
    Then people start dropping out for various reasons - family issues, bike issues, personal health, work, etc.
    Final deliberate planning should be about one week prior with those who remain standing. This would include overnight stopping points, lodging, and chow.

As you discovered, many people don't think this far ahead - especially if they think they will have cell phone signal and unlimited use of plastic along the way.
    Some remote stations only take cash - and a lot of it.
    Some remote "cowboy motels" only take cash too.

Best of luck.
    Final thought: there is no interest like self-interest.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    +1000

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Yeah, this retired gig doesn't suck!
    I'm just back yesterday from a 6 day mostly solo ride to "no place special."
    Saw a few friends along the path.
    All goodness.
    Life is GooD!
    Last edited by 53driver; 04-08-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    ITS ALL GOOD

It seems there is a lot of over analyzing and over complicating simple adventures. Start of the riding season - throw on new tires. Change the oil too if it's been parked all winter. Gas you can get about anywhere along the adventure - except for a very few remote areas of the country, so pull in for gas when you're at 1/2 when you're heading into those areas. Very few hotels and cash stations are only cash. So, take a couple of hundred bucks with you. On my 11K journey last summer - I stopped an had my oil changed at about 5K. But again, how many of you are taking an 11K trip?

In some of the heavy summer nat prk / resort traffic areas, most of the time you'll have to book a reservation especially if you have a lady w/ you (Zion, Telluride, Sedona, Moab, Glacier, Riggens - along lolo pass Idaho, Jackson hole). Otherwise there's no reason to pre-book hotels....just travel for the day until you want to stop for the day.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne