Florida residents: Question about Red Tide - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Florida residents: Question about Red Tide

Quote Originally Posted by FlaMike View Post
    To answer your question. I live in Sarasota and often work on Longboat Key which is directly south of Anna Maria Isl. There is no green slim on beaches but there has been red tide (along with dead fish). It's not an everyday thing and varies from day to day. Generally it doesn't last as long or as widespread, as it has been this year. And as has been stated, pretty confident that it wont affect your plans in late Sept. But keep an eye on it, by early Sept would be a good indicator.

http://myfwc.com/redtidestatus
    Thanks Mike!

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!

Quote Originally Posted by 2015F6B View Post
    Why don't you take your liberal political crap and stick it somewhere else, this isn't the place.
    Awe c'mon play nice. I don't normally step in to manage threads but this IS the off topic area....

No I'm not a mod, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Befor I blame it on any one, I would like to know how long has it been going on. Anybody?
    ITS ALL GOOD

It's gotten worst every year for the last 6-7 years. It last longer, covers more beach & kills more sea life. The local news said it's moving further north, Gulf side. It's on the east coast too but not as bad. It's hurt tourist through out the state, I heard a number in the billions of dollars.. Only seen it on TV, it's sad to see that thick green ooze & thousands upon thousands on dead sea critters, tiny fish, big fish, sea turtles, mantes, whales. They're doing the best they can cleaning up the dead animals.

WOW!!!! Red Tide is a NATURALLY OCCURRING EVENT, No the Gov. did not cause it. Sugar did not cause it, GOD did. Please educate yourselves so you don't appear to be ignorant. The beachs are beautiful and your trip should be very nice.

http://myfwc.com/redtidestatus
    " Truth is often deemed rude, blunt and to the point which is why so few make their friend " Freddy Hayler ..352-267-1553 Sanford, FLA Gutterman6000@Gmail.com

Just got back from Florida! Here’s my report:

Fort Lauderdale water had a LOT of rough, scratchy seaweed, which made for an unpleasant swim. I don’t remember this much seaweed 5 years ago.
    Headed to Tampa. Sanibel had a slight smell, water seemed ok. Siesta key had a slight smell, red specks in the water, like paprika. Didn’t spend much time there.
    Spent multiple days at Coquina beach, located south of Anna Maria and just across a bridge from Longboat key. It was reported as having respiratory irritation. Nope. All wrong. Water was clear, clean, brimming with sea life and dolphins, low crowds made it fantastic.
    Clearwater was clean too, but crowded.
    Longboat key had a 1 or 2 mile stretch of raw sewage smell. Just horrible.

We had a great time. I already miss FL and her great beaches. I’m already thinking about our 6th trip there. Maybe we’ll try the panhandle. Thanks for all the input!

There's another hurricane headed for the panhandle, mid/end of this week, w/ TS winds down as far as Tampa. The winds, rain might break up the mess.
    50-60 years ago red tide was very rare, almost unheard of. Fl. has had the fastest population growth in the country, people from all over moving here. The sewage treatment plants, septic systems, horse, cattle, sugar & other ag. farming, parking lot run off, draining & filling our wetlands, all sorts of development, all ad to the filth in our rivers & streams, it all ends up in the ocean or Gulf, where it destroys the oxygen & kills anything & everything swimming through it. A large percentage of it, is caused by us humans, myself included.

Washington state gets red tide on the coast, ever since I’ve been here, and the coast is sparsely populated. If our country stopped all immigration, both legal and illegal, the U.S. population would shrink, and yet I’m called racist for wanting to preserve resources and improve our U.S. ecology. Go figure.