New Shoes
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Shoes

New Shoes

Well, it’s time for new shoes again. I ride pretty aggressively and go through rear tires every 9000 miles on average. I did get 16k while dark side before moving to a set of Elite 4. The Elites will likely roll through a lot of miles on the interstate due to the harder center rubber composition. I did not however see any gains off center and frankly feel they did not stick as well in the curves and chased tar snakes like crazy. So, back to the stones for this round.

Attachment 55643282D146-73F4-4539-B763-1FBA3B442D48.jpg

I just replaced my OEM Stones. 14K+ miles.....so I guess they did alright.

Although the B is my 13th bike (been riding since '69), it's my first Wing of any sort. I've always felt something was 'different' about the way it rode. Not bad, per se....just different. I even had a number of others ride it to see if they noticed anything off (this includes a retired motor cop who has logged a couple hundred thousand Wing miles). None of them said they noticed anything and that I was just imagining things......don't worry, it's the standard Wing Ride.

HOWEVER.... the moment I got on the bike after the new Stones install, everything changed. It now rides better than it ever has....almost better than any bike I've ever had.

I don't know if there was some minor problem with the stock Stones....or Exedras are now manufactured slightly differently than they were...or perhaps there was a slight misalignment previously, or what. In fact, even the wobble is absolutely and compleatly gone. This thing is now rock solid and rides like it's on rails.

I nearly went with a different tire this time because I didn't like the previous ride. I am REALLY glad I went with the Stones again. (however.....Kharma IS a bitch. The night I got the new tires, shortly after I got home my wife bumped my Condor dolly and knocked the bike over to the tune of $600 worth of damage...but that's another story)

.....sT
    Last edited by SimonTemplar; 08-19-2018 at 01:10 PM.
    Journeyman ATCS, retired
    U.S. DOT - Federal Aviation Administration -- 1982-2012

--- Valve Audio: Use a transistor, go to jail .....it's the LAW!! ---

My 2013 had 8,500 miles when I got it. It was my first wing. I though the ride was stiff but the handling was good.
    Then I put new stones on at 12,000k and WOW what a difference. Still stiff but the cornering and the way it does lane changes through the troff'a and ridges, much better now.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I am anxious to see how this new set fares. I’ve got a serious case of the wobbles as well which may or may not be cured with this set. Running DS was great and I can certainly see the gains there, I just appreciate how much more crisp and quick a MC tire will break over in a turn. Now, to get them scrubbed in real good before Cherokee....

I have 2 old Valkyries with a total of over 270,000 miles. After trying Dunlops, Bridgestones, and Metzelers, I settled on Avon 'Tyres'. I've installed dozens of the Avons, and every time the new tire felt much better than the one I just removed. I think tires deteriorate slowly and we hardly notice, until we replace them.

IMO the OEM Bridgestones are a very good tire. My only complaints are they seem skittish on tar strips, and they don't last too long. On my Valkyries I always get over 12,000 miles from a rear Avon, while the Bridgestone I tried only gave me 8,500. On my F6B I'm getting about 10,000 from a rear Bridgestone. When I wear my current tires out I'll be trying some Avons.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I have 2 old Valkyries with a total of over 270,000 miles. After trying Dunlops, Bridgestones, and Metzelers, I settled on Avon 'Tyres'. I've installed dozens of the Avons, and every time the new tire felt much better than the one I just removed. I think tires deteriorate slowly and we hardly notice, until we replace them.

IMO the OEM Bridgestones are a very good tire. My only complaints are they seem skittish on tar strips, and they don't last too long. On my Valkyries I always get over 12,000 miles from a rear Avon, while the Bridgestone I tried only gave me 8,500. On my F6B I'm getting about 10,000 from a rear Bridgestone. When I wear my current tires out I'll be trying some Avons.
    Agree all the way around. I've got 9100 miles on my new B now and just took a spare rim to have a rear Avon installed. The stock tires are sticky, but seem to wear quickly. Avons have always behaved superbly for me on the Valk, I imagine they will on the B too.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Air pressure, air pressure, air pressure.......

I'll tell everyone again: Tire Pressure means everything to the life of the tire.

Yes, the throttle factor is a player, as is the "type" of riding.
    I'm no stranger to twisties or exhibitional acceleration.

But I've found that even 1 or 2 psi can make a difference.
    I've routinely gotten 16-18k miles on the OEM 'Stones and I got 22k on the Dunlop E4s.
    At 88k I'm only on my 5th tire set - and that latest change was due to a tire puncture. 'Stones only had 11k on them.
    I use the FOBO TPMS, and when I walk out to the bike, if the pressures are off from 40F/41R, I juice 'em up.
    I know not everyone has an air compressor, but if you save a set of tires, not to mention mounting fees, it pays for itself pretty quickly.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Do you make an adjustment for temperature? The air temperatures in the mountains vary quite a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Bster View Post
    Do you make an adjustment for temperature? The air temperatures in the mountains vary quite a bit.
    The FOBO will give you "gauge" pressure or temp adjusted pressure. I use the latter.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Proper Air pressure is definitely key. Tire composition (soft/hard) will also be a factor in handling and "normal" wear.

It may seem like a no brainer but for those of you that like old school tech I highly recommend a longer service gauge for your pre-trip inspections on any vehicle you drive. On the B it gives easy access to the the stems and saves the knees of us old timers. Almost any brand will do.

And...a larger (like 20) gallon compressor is a must in any home / garage.

Milton Service Gauge.jpg
    Last edited by unsub; 11-16-2018 at 02:26 PM.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!