saddle bag stuck closed - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: saddle bag stuck closed

I just had this very same thing happen to me. The key was in the unlocked position and the release lever for the ride side bag pulled and acted just like it is supposed to when the key is in the locked position. Of course I was out of town when it happened (and I had all kinds of stuff now trapped in the right side saddlebag) I played around with it for an hour and finally decided without any tools with me I better get it to a dealer. So I found the nearest place and gave them a call. They said that they didn't know of any "trick" to get the bag open, but suggested that I go ahead and take it to them so that they could take a look. The tech came out and scratched his head for a little while and then he tried pushing the lid as hard as he could while I tried to release the lever. (which then became hard as a rock to pull on) Still no luck. So he went back inside to look at something in the service manual while I continued to mess around with it. In frustration I smacked the lid with the bottom of a closed fist (Fonzie style on the jukebox) pulled the lever again and the damn lid opened as smooth as butter. As if you say... "Aw come on man... I was just messing with you." I still have no idea how or why this happened in the first place or how I "fixed" it. Go Figure?

Well, here is another option. I experienced the same problem and the issue was under the seat. There is a bracket on each side that holds the release cable. There is a small white grommet that dropped out of the bracket. I ended up snapping it back in and securing with a zip tie.

IMG_3666.jpg

I've had both sides not open on different occasions. Both were caused by over-stuffing the space. If you overfilled the bag and you don't hear the lock mechanism click there is something pressing up against the plastic cover and bowing the rod from the two hooks holding the bag closed. In both cases I had to get the weight shifted inside the bag so that the mechanism would move properly. In one instance, I put my bike on it's side and lifted it back up (a couple of times) to get the jacket and case I stuffed in that side to move enough internally that it finally opened. The second time, I did the same thing but had to lay the bike on both sides several times before it finally let go...that one was a cooler and a blanket...I thought it would never budge.

Do you think this would be covered by the warranty?
    stevenolts

I took the seat and cover over the rear last night / pulled the cable with vice grip to fully engage / pulled up and in while pulling the release / nothing is working. There are two latched the one in the rear release the front one is stuck.

I am going to call and schedule an appointment with the dealer. It should be covered with the warranty. Right it will probably be just like my ghost shift problems.
    I am now recommending against the warranty extension. Honda does not seem to want to honor the warranty for the ghost shift problem.
    stevenolts

Quote Originally Posted by stevenolts View Post
    I took the seat and cover over the rear last night / pulled the cable with vice grip to fully engage / pulled up and in while pulling the release / nothing is working. There are two latched the one in the rear release the front one is stuck.
    Damn - sounds like you diddled it up good!
    Take it to your dealer - they'll probably charge you an hour of labor to get it open.
    If they have to do more than that to disinfsckulate it, you're probably looking at 5 hours of labor to pull everything apart back there.

Warranty? Doubtful. You already admitted to overstuffing it. They'll tell you the mechanism is/was fine - this is operator error.
    Best of luck,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I already figured no warranty / the inside saddlebag with the loop is 138.00 which will break when I pop it open.
    Probably cheaper than the dealer. Plus I get to learn more about the bike.
    stevenolts

Try the plastic pry bar & fist thing first. Harbor Freight, auto body section, 4 or 5 pack, cheap. They're great for removing Honda's plastic.

I know this is a stale thread, but I have a similar situation with my right side bag not opening..... It was not over filled. I rarely use the lock for the bags and used it today. When I unlocked it the left side opened fine the right wont and the lever is acting like it is still locked. I have banged and pried with no results....