Need some F6B Advice...
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need some F6B Advice...

Need some F6B Advice...

Been studying the F6B and am getting closer to finding one. I am riding an ST1300 now, and a ST100 before that. Time to find something more comfortable two up as wife is retiring and has decided she wants to ride along....Any thoughts on the difference between a 2013 and a 2016?
    Also been reading about this crank position sensor issue (Honda calls it a generator Pulse something) is that a common defect on the newer F6B's? Does the dealer cover this under warranty? I have read of a few 2013 and 2014 with the issue but not much on the newer ones. Anything else I need to look for or be aware of maintaince wise? Honda motorcycles seem to be pretty bullet proof for the most part. Thanks in advance

The main difference between a 2013 or 2014 and the later bikes is the cruise control. To some of us that was a deal breaker, to others no big deal. The Crank position sensor (ignition pulse generator) can be a problem on any Gl1800, goldwing or F6B. If the bike is under warranty it is covered. I don't know how many of us have had the problem. I suspect it is a small percentage. I have a 2015 F6B and I had to have it replaced but I know a lot of people that have never had a problem, I would recommend buying a Deluxe model the extra features are worth the difference in price.

I am totally satisfied with my F6B and you should be able to make a really good deal because they never became very popular so the resale on them sucks.

Good luck
    Az Wingrider

I had two ST's and loved them both. This bike is much better, especially two up. I do miss that electric windshield, though.

I love my F6B deluxe and intend to keep it for now...2013 model with a "boat load" of accessories including custom paint..No issues at all in over 4 1/2 years of riding except for the brake re-call from Honda..Don't ride very far so cruise was not an issue for me...But,,,,,If I were going to ride two-up and had been riding an ST, I would most definitely move to the new Goldwing Tour instead of a F6B...I know used F6B's go fairly cheap, but the new Wing is super nice and almost looks and feels like a "grown-up" ST1300 in my opinion.....Good luck and ride safe

I have a standard model 2013. Bought it used and its by far the best motorcycle I have ever had. I have owned many. At the time I wanted one I didn't really look at finding a deluxe model as I was riding a bike that I wanted to trade for one. If they would have had a deluxe model I would have bought it for the cruise and the heated grips. Ive put quite a few accessories on it and it really hasn't bothered me to not have a cruise. I just use a throttle lock. The place I bought it from now has a used deluxe that has no miles on it in black. Like Az Wingrider said you can buy them really reasonable. I did have the issue with the pulse generator and because I had ho warranty I paid to have it replaced. Since then no more issues. I didnt buy mine from a Honda dealer I bought mine from a shop that sells used motorcycles. Al
    Last edited by BigAl1952; 08-20-2018 at 08:53 PM.
    A man can never have to much red wine or to many good books or to much ammunition. Rudyard Kipling

Once I was young and now I am old and everything in the middle went way to damn fast.

Have you ever sat and thought...... Damn Ive been thru a lot of shit.

thanks for the advice I am thinking I will miss the electric windshield but then again before I bought the St's none of my previous bikes had electric windshields so didn't know I was missing anything. The Mastead windshield looks to be a happy solution. If you have the crank position sensor repair done at the dealer what is the approx cost for the repairs...?

Quote Originally Posted by fxolato View Post
    ....If you have the crank position sensor repair done at the dealer what is the approx cost for the repairs...?
    Mine was performed under warranty - but the part is ~$35 and it's about 2.5 hours of labor.
    While they are in there, they can change the air filter and reset the throttle cable so the adjustment on the handgrip has more range.
    It's not epic.
    I think there are a total of 4 of us on the forum who have had this replaced AND have squawked a lot about it. There may be a few more, but with more than a couple thousand members, I think that's doing pretty well.
    It should definitely NOT be a deal breaker in deciding this purchase.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by 53driver; 08-21-2018 at 09:30 AM.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I read there's a heat issue w/ some years of the ST's. Not so w/ the B. I too have a throttle lock, I rarely use it. I did like the power windshield on my FJR. It took a couple of tries to find a windshield I liked on my '13 B. I use the 15" "Wind Bender" (EZ manual "stop light" adjustable, or up grade to a power) from Fire Creek, they're great folks to deal with.. I prefer the gloss finish over the matte, different strokes, different folks. There's lots of fraklies to be had for the full wing & the B. Should be able to get a great buy if you shop around, ebay, cycle trader, craigslist, this forum, any brand MC dealer. I saw a new "0" miles on ebay a week or 2 ago. You wait until this fall / winter you can steal one...….. I took a test ride on a B in the fall of '16, came home & put my '16 Chief (w/ 600 miles) on the market & brought a great used (off this forum) '13 in 2 weeks, been smiling ever since...…. you'll love the B.

Yes the early ST's had a heat issue and the 2008 and later are better and after I installed a Corbin seat which fit much better around the gas tank area and a few other mods I have the heat issue pretty much under control.I really enjoy the ST but two up I think the F6B would be better. I think my hooligan days are over, just turned 60 and have spent the last ten years or so riding all of the crooked roads in Arkansas and NC now wife is retiring and has decided she wants more than the twice a year weekend trip. I have had my fun managed to remain upright all of those years and from what I see on You Tube the F6B corners pretty well. I think it will be a good choice. I am doing my homework now and you are correct Jan or Feb is a good time to really go shopping.

To me the B is a 800# sport bike. I love the way it handles & rides.