Cold Stumble - Page 6
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Cold Stumble

Mine had it on the factory plugs, but the OEM replacements seem to have solved it...for now.

Had the stumble yesterday. Drove through the grass to get to a parking lot. Was off the bike for 30 - 40 minuets.
    When leaving I anticipated the stumble and was very careful. Gave it a little gas to get up a hill and nothing.
    So I sat there idling for a minuet. Took off and it happened again. I'm in the grass, when it did go it set me sideways. But I was ready for it.
    People looked at me like I did it on purpose,
    Not fun!
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Donncat View Post
    Gents, on my 2013B I experienced that stumble only on one occasion or should I say for one tank of gas. I have always run premium fuel and after reading other threads I decided to try Mid-Grade gas and the stumble appeared and stayed till I filled up again. If you haven't tried Premium fuel exclusively you might just find the solution there. I do not get any stumble warm or cold, low RPMs or high. Just Sayin.
    I will start running premium non-ethanol fuel in about a month, anticipating storage. I will have to see if that stumble goes away during those few tankfuls. Ever since this thread came up, I have been paying more attention to the stumble and have noticed that it does not occur during EVERY warm up after all...about every third or fourth.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

GaTeach
    Just to let y’all know:

My mechanic determined that the fuel pump was out of its tolerances and if we replaced the fuel pump, the stumble would cease to exist!

He called Honda and got the fuel pump replacement covered under warranty.

I picked SG up yesterday, cranked her, jumped on, and took off. And she immediately stumbled.

But....I have a new fuel pump at almost 80,000 miles and I’ve made a New Fuel Pump Resolution to QUIT running around with that orange low fuel light on.

(And I have no doubt that resolution will last about as long as my New Year resolutions last)

Should re-name this thread to "LETS GET REAAAADY TO STUMBLE"

Quote Originally Posted by Zteve View Post
    Should re-name this thread to "LETS GET REAAAADY TO STUMBLE"
    Where is the "like" button?

Mine stumbled while making a sharp, low speed left turn in traffic. Not cute.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by GaTeach View Post
    Just to let y’all know:

My mechanic determined that the fuel pump was out of its tolerances and if we replaced the fuel pump, the stumble would cease to exist!

He called Honda and got the fuel pump replacement covered under warranty.

I picked SG up yesterday, cranked her, jumped on, and took off. And she immediately stumbled.

But....I have a new fuel pump at almost 80,000 miles and I’ve made a New Fuel Pump Resolution to QUIT running around with that orange low fuel light on.

(And I have no doubt that resolution will last about as long as my New Year resolutions last)
    I don't remember, did I stumble walking away from the Taco Bell in Cherokee ???

2013 F6B
    2016 Spyder F3 Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by zteve View Post
    should re-name this thread to "lets get reaaaady to stumble"
    ITS ALL GOOD

Isleen grew into the cold stumble after ~20k miles.
    I've always used 87, per the owner's manual.
    I'm trying 92/93 now and I'll see if that makes a difference.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I've followed the posts on this thread and thought several times about replying...but never did until now.

My 2016 F6B can move right out as soon as I start it. I always let it run about 30-60 seconds just to let oil get circulated and I take it easy on the throttle until it gets warmed up. Never have had a stumble. I wonder if it could be that here at 8,500 feet it runs just a little richer because of the thin air and that this helps. I know the ECM makes the adjustment for the altitude, but still could be a little richer than for those at lower elevations.

As for octane, at this elevation regular gas is 85 octane (same anti-ping result as 87 at lower elevations) and that's what I have run for 14k miles, except on a couple of trips that were a little lower in elevation and the regular gas was 87 octane. Have never had pinging on my F6B, even when rolling hard on the throttle.

My 2002 GL1800 Wing performed the same way until I was running back east at lower elevations and HOTTER temperatures -- crank it hard and I would get pinging with 87 octane so I used middle-grade in those cases.
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic