Rash of motorcycle accidents here lately
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rash of motorcycle accidents here lately

Rash of motorcycle accidents here lately

WJDuke mentioned that there have been several incidents in his area. Seems like we go through a rough stretch like this every so often, where several motorcycle fatalities occur in a short period of time.

https://www.democratandchronicle.com...es/1071603002/

Three in the past three days, four in the month of August. Thing is, these accidents are mostly caused by the rider. One guy lost control and went into oncoming traffic; another rode into a parked van; another rode at high speed through a busy intersection and hit a car turning left; another couple of riders hit each other on an interstate earlier in the month.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I would agree that most are rider error. To those guys, well, what can be said. They feel invincible. Others, maybe like myself, either damn lucky to be alive, or damn unlucky as a rider. I feel both for sure. I miss it, but, I'm getting too old to handle the injuries. There's usually a rash of incidents early in the season too. Just ride safely. The rest is out of your control.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

I try not to let accident thoughts get in my mind and always make an effort to ride extremely safe and watch other drivers as best I can...But the way some of the idiots I see riding bikes, they are playing with fate and possible serious injury...Most are sport bike and "crotch rocket" riders...JMHO

Recently had my first accident in 25+ years of riding. Topped hill in curve I had ridden many rimes before (rural TN road) and a truck was stopped waiting to turn left. I wasn't speeding...maybe 35, but had less than 30 yards to stop, hit the brakes and ditch and came away with broken thumb, various scrapes and bruises....and, totaled my '16 F6BD. Hitting truck rear would have been much more damaging. This was a true accident. No way to avoid. That's what worries me! While on the mend, another procedure on thumb next week, I wonder what my desire will be, when healed, to ride again. Extremely lucky but next time who knows. I really enjoy riding, nothing else compares. I'll add I am retired and in mid-60's. Pondering the future......time will tell if the itch returns.

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Recently had my first accident in 25+ years of riding. Topped hill in curve I had ridden many rimes before (rural TN road) and a truck was stopped waiting to turn left. I wasn't speeding...maybe 35, but had less than 30 yards to stop, hit the brakes and ditch and came away with broken thumb, various scrapes and bruises....and, totaled my '16 F6BD. Hitting truck rear would have been much more damaging. This was a true accident. No way to avoid. That's what worries me! While on the mend, another procedure on thumb next week, I wonder what my desire will be, when healed, to ride again. Extremely lucky but next time who knows. I really enjoy riding, nothing else compares. I'll add I am retired and in mid-60's. Pondering the future......time will tell if the itch returns.
    Sometimes getting right back on a bike when your healed is the best therapy...I know it is a difficult time right now for you, but I hope all works out for the best whatever you decide...I am 78 and even though I don't ride as much as I used to, I still love getting out on the back roads and riding along, constantly looking to hopefully avoid any accidents...So far, so good....Regards

Sorry to hear about that seagraves!
    I concur with Opas - time to heal and resume the living you've come to enjoy.
    Of course, not much wrong with a Corvette convertible either to get the wind in your hair.....

Take care and heal fast!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Last weekend, about a mile from our home, a rider on a well paved, single lane, rural FL. road, decided to pass several cars on a sharp, blind curve, he ran head first into a on coming car & was killed. Never heard if he had a helmet on but in a head on, at passing speed, I doubt if a helmet would have helped much..... Note: I am a strong believer in wearing a helmet & never, ever ride without one BUT if you're a adult and don't wear one, that's your choice.

I love to open the throttle, but never on blind curves or hills. I have to see my surroundings ahead of me. Period. Humans, animals, road hazards are on my top list of culprits!

Hondas and Kawis and Zukis and Yammys...Oh my!

I'll bet the rider got behind some slow poke going 20-30mph under the 55mph limit (lots of those around here) for mile after mile & said '"f--- this", down shifted & twisted the throttle...…....….and the rest is history.

Quote Originally Posted by Broken Hand View Post
    I love to open the throttle, but never on blind curves or hills. I have to see my surroundings ahead of me. Period. Humans, animals, road hazards are on my top list of culprits!
    Just had a reminder of this yesterday, while not completely paying attention. Coming down a hill with a nice curve, hello, there's a Nissan Pathfinder stopped, waiting to turn left. Had to get on the brakes pretty hard. I went home after that, realizing my focus was not as sharp as it needed to be.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6