Rash of motorcycle accidents here lately - Page 3
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rash of motorcycle accidents here lately

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    I'm leaning towards riding again, it's what I love...however, there's a huge spot in my brain questioning that decision.
    Gotta do what you love - no regrets going to the grave - be it reading, riding, or 'rithmetic (for you "sports accounts" and "weekend statistics experts")
    Call me sometime and let's chat about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

I'm leaning towards riding again, it's what I love...however, there's a huge spot in my brain questioning that decision.
    It's not my place to sway you in either direction, so I'll just say that I hope to ride with you again.

If you will over look the fact that my F6B grew into a full Goldwing.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Gotta do what you love - no regrets going to the grave - be it reading, riding, or 'rithmetic (for you "sports accounts" and "weekend statistics experts")
    Call me sometime and let's chat about life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    It's not my place to sway you in either direction, so I'll just say that I hope to ride with you again.

If you will over look the fact that my F6B grew into a full Goldwing.
    Well, I might go look at an F6B today. It's on Craigs list near me. 2016, white, 7,000 miles, and a good price. I'm not prepared to buy, but have a friend who might do something for me. I'm still out of work, so we'll see. Dan, I could go full wing also. I think you had it already last time we rode together. Saw a nice 2018 white at Bettencourt's, and looking at used. I'm pretty sure I'll be out there again.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

After my 2012 accident, I had the same doubts. Took the entire 2013 riding season off, bought another VStar 1100 in July 2014. Took my time getting back into it, only rode 2000 miles that year. I committed to staying away from traffic and riding quiet roads with good sight lines. Despite feelings of anxiety, I took a carefully selected route in September that was my first longer ride in years (100 miles). During this gradual re-entry into riding, I also spent time every ride doing low speed maneuvers, swerving, hard braking, and reading "Motorcycling Excellence", as well as watching videos and practicing those skills.

Everyone is different, this just happened to e a sequence that worked well for me, a gradual re-entry into motorcycling. I signed up for an Advanced Rider Course last year, but it got cancelled due to weather. I will try and take one this year and every other year, mainly for confidence. I had 12,000 miles of riding experience at the time of my accident, and 36,000 since I re-started and I can tell you there have been 2 or 3 incidents per riding season that I responded well to with my practice and learning that may not have ended well in my experience prior to my accident (I did not even know how to swerve!).

If you get back on the horse, I wish you the best. My advice, if asked, would be to consider a general "re-entry" plan to riding that creates riding situations where you will feel comfortable getting back into the groove...and just be patient.

Good luck.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

My only MC accident in 40 years of riding was nearly fatal for both my wife and I in 2000. Drunk driver, 9th DUI who also killed a guy in 1980 driving drunk, swung left in front of us on a two lane road. I was on life support for 9 days and hospitalized for over 3 months. 9 surgeries and a year of rehab to get back on my feet and I never thought I wouldn't ride again. Took my wife a couple years before she got back on but we truly enjoy it. You can be the best rider on the planet but sometimes there's nothing you can do and if that day happens, your going to get hurt. Every aspect of life has risk and all you can do is try to minimize your exposure. I do worry about my son who rides and kinda wish he'd sell his bike as he is just starting a family.

That bike will be in my friends garage soon. He gave us a price we couldn't refuse, $11,300. That was less than mine was worth. A year newer and mine had 42,000 miles. I need to get my crap together, but it looks like I'll be on the road this year. My family will have a fit, but I'll deal with it. I love riding and honestly, it's all I have. Thanks for the support.

That bike will be in my friends garage soon. He gave us a price we couldn't refuse, $11,300. That was less than mine was worth. A year newer and mine had 42,000 miles. I need to get my crap together, but it looks like I'll be on the road this year. My family will have a fit, but I'll deal with it. I love riding and honestly, it's all I have. Thanks for the support.
    Congratulations!!!!!
    Very happy for you!
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Good to hear Wayne,

Live to Ride, Ride to Live
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

If the "idiot/stupid"law makers that are proposing a no speed limit on California highways ever becomes a reality, the motorcycle accident rate will "skyrocket".!!! Between "Pot heads" and drug users along with texting on cell phones, I am becoming more concerned about my safety on the roads.....JMHO

I voted to make it legal here and I'm sorry I did. There are 2 stores now selling it and 10 more want to open. At my last job, a tire store, so many people came in stoned and reeking of that smell, that it made me sick. They drove in high to buy tires and that's a scary thought. Can only hope that the cops start to get tough on tracking these idiots down. I smelled it plenty on back roads riding too. I better shut up or I'll talk myself out of riding again!