Rash of motorcycle accidents here lately - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Rash of motorcycle accidents here lately

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    I try not to let accident thoughts get in my mind and always make an effort to ride extremely safe and watch other drivers as best I can...But the way some of the idiots I see riding bikes, they are playing with fate and possible serious injury...Most are sport bike and "crotch rocket" riders...JMHO

Opas, you and I don't agree on everything, but I also find myself allowing thoughts of "what if" enter my mind while going down a road on two wheels. We can only ride as safe as we can, and most, not all, of the time that is the difference between and accident or close call, and a non-event.

All of the bikes cited in the article with perished riders were sport bikes. I think I would be tempted to hammer on it too, if I had one. They are so fast and handle so tight that it is hard to resist.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by seagravesg View Post
    Recently had my first accident in 25+ years of riding. Topped hill in curve I had ridden many rimes before (rural TN road) and a truck was stopped waiting to turn left. I wasn't speeding...maybe 35, but had less than 30 yards to stop, hit the brakes and ditch and came away with broken thumb, various scrapes and bruises....and, totaled my '16 F6BD. Hitting truck rear would have been much more damaging. This was a true accident. No way to avoid. That's what worries me! While on the mend, another procedure on thumb next week, I wonder what my desire will be, when healed, to ride again. Extremely lucky but next time who knows. I really enjoy riding, nothing else compares. I'll add I am retired and in mid-60's. Pondering the future......time will tell if the itch returns.
    This is kind of where I'm at. Only that this was my second time. After the first, I was all gung ho to ride again. Not so much this time. I just turned 62, so that's part of it too. Just make the decision for you, not outside pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Just had a reminder of this yesterday, while not completely paying attention. Coming down a hill with a nice curve, hello, there's a Nissan Pathfinder stopped, waiting to turn left. Had to get on the brakes pretty hard. I went home after that, realizing my focus was not as sharp as it needed to be.
    I've done that. Saw a couple of close calls, been involved in a couple, said to myself, this isn't the day to be out.
    “Gibraltar” 2016 white deluxe has been sold.

The Art of Motorcycling is centered on proper, accurate, and continuous self-assessment and knowing when to take a break - either for a coffee and perhaps a change of underoos, or a slightly longer hiatus.
    I'm very glad that our membership does this openly and is proud of it.
    Well done by all of you.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    The Art of Motorcycling is centered on proper, accurate, and continuous self-assessment and knowing when to take a break - either for a coffee and perhaps a change of underoos, or a slightly longer hiatus.
    I'm very glad that our membership does this openly and is proud of it.
    Well done by all of you.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    There is no "like" button, but I would like to "like" this. Rest. Water. Coffee. Stretching. Go home if you aren't "feeling it". All good things when riding.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Agreed. Sometimes on longer rides I find myself 'drifting' or daydreaming. Gas stop time.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Especially if you're slowing down to a stop and some dingbat behind you is texting .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Well, sad to say, I got a call this evening. Friends of a good friend of mine were killed in NH today. A husband and wife. I haven't heard details. They were from New Bedford, Ma. I suppose it'll be in the news tomorrow. This has been an awful riding season, personally. Heads on a swivel, don't divert your attention for one second.

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post
    Well, sad to say, I got a call this evening. Friends of a good friend of mine were killed in NH today. A husband and wife. I haven't heard details. They were from New Bedford, Ma. I suppose it'll be in the news tomorrow. This has been an awful riding season, personally. Heads on a swivel, don't divert your attention for one second.
    Wayne,
    My sincerest condolences to you and your friend.

All y'all be safe out there today and everyday.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by wjduke View Post

Too dangerous even for the police. Distracted drivers take their toll.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/moto...X3x?li=BBnbfcL

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post
    Too dangerous even for the police. Distracted drivers take their toll.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/moto...X3x?li=BBnbfcL
    I'm leaning towards riding again, it's what I love...however, there's a huge spot in my brain questioning that decision.