Home gardeners here?

Thread: Home gardeners here?

Home gardeners here?

Just wondering if we have any home gardeners here. I bought a house with a bit of land (1.3acre) and I am thinking about doing some gardening next year. I was wondering if I should just do a fixed size tilled ground, or maybe a few smaller raised bed. Any pro's or con's to each?

edit to clarify that Im not looking to farm 1.2 acres, just maybe a 10ftx10ft or 10ftx20ft with the basics to start. Green beans, tomatoes, cucumbers, ect. I have a little experience when I was kid helping out pulling weeds, and pulling almost ripe vegetables. So the idea of the garden is both self sustainability and nostalgia.
    Last edited by VaBob; 08-31-2018 at 06:59 AM.

We have 4 raised beds on our 1.25 acres. We do bell peppers, green beans, spinach, squash, etc. Read up and give it a go. Trial and error is in the mix. We pre grow in the house then transplant when adequate in size.

I understand raised beds are the way to go these days. EZ to work on & you still get enough food for you & your neighbors.

Whats the benefit of a raised bed over a traditional garden plot? Im asking because I really dont know.

Raised beds keep the vegetables from excessive "greyhound flavoring".....

Not quite sure what that means, but Im guessing it means they'll be less nature delivered to my tomatoes from creatures. Really, its a toss up for me financially. Either pay out for the lumber to make the raised beds, or rent/buy a tiller to prep a spot in the yard. Either should be a one time expense that lasts a long time. One benefit I see from a raised bed is that its a lot let bending over and hands and knees type work. Something to think about I guess.

Raised beds make it easier to keep soil prepped and rabbits out.