8,000 mile road trip PERFECT except lighting could be improved...Advice

Thread: 8,000 mile road trip PERFECT except lighting could be improved...Advice

8,000 mile road trip PERFECT except lighting could be improved...Advice

I just completed my first road trip from Chagrin Falls, Oh to LA and back. Great bike and GREAT ride. Went out the back roads by way of Bryce, Zion and the Grand Canyon and back through the Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, Mt Rushmore, and the Bad Lands.

Handled the wide open spaces at 100+ MPH and the super twisties of Bear Tooth Pass with easy. My sit-up was perfect with the Mad screen, Aero pegs and the stock seat with a $20 memory foam pad from Costco.

The pad is a great addition. Made the 700 mile days as comfortable as a 14 hour ride can be. I don't remember the name of the pad but it is well worth the $20!

The only thing that can be improved are my low lights. They are aimed too low for highway speeds by about 30 feet. The highs really reach out there.

First, can the stock low beam lights be refocused to aim higher? If I can reaim the lows to reach further out by about 30 feet will that change the aim of the high beams as well? Is there a YouTube or something that shows how to reaim the F6B lights?

I plan the have this bike for a long time so if I can improve the lighting significantly, I might as well do it now rather than wait until a stock bulb needs to be replaced.

Any suggestions as to bulbs or LED replacements? I noticed some bikes have real white lights. Do they make visibility better?

Sounds like a great trip...

Lighting, our bikes have one adjustment control. This will raise or lower both H/L beams at the same time. Check your manual for location, .to lower the beam, turn headlight beam adjustment knob clockwise. To raise the beam, turn the knob counterclockwise.several thousand several thousand miles and no issues, but great lighting.
    I am sure several others will chime in on this subject....
    Last edited by Pumper; 09-04-2018 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
    Sounds like a great trip...

Lighting, our bikes have one adjustment control. This will raise or lower both H/L beams at the same time. Check your manual for location, .to lower the beam, turn headlight beam adjustment knob clockwise. To raise the beam, turn the knob counterclockwise.
    Suggestions for better lighting: So Cal LED's. Not much work to install and 100% improvement over factory lighting. RUNS THEM SEVERAL THOUSAND MILES AND NO ISSUES, BUT GREAT LIGHTING.
    I am sure several others will chime in on this subject....
    Agree. I have heard So Cals LED are good. Without any comparison info I had Electical Connections LEDs installed in mine and am happy with them. I also have a pair of their 6 led fixtures in my lower cowl. Have to be meticulus with those as far as measuring and aim but they are 1400 L each. Oncoming drivers will flash you but in the mountains at night they work very well...

Sylvania Silverstar Ultra bulbs, the orange card work great for me.
    I replaced one of them this summer after 3 yrs. A bit expensive but much, much better than OEM and less than some aftermarket. No driving lights on mine yet..

Our sponsor has lots of light upgrade options.

I did much the same Rocky mtn. ride as you again this year. Beautiful.
    Last edited by Dirtstiff's F6B; 09-01-2018 at 09:57 AM.
    4 Wheels Move the Body
    2 Wheels Move the Soul
    In Loving Memory of My Brother
    "Death Waits In The Dark"

2013 F6B Deluxe

So Cals LED is a vast improvement. Added these into my High Beams as well before my 9,700 mile trip. Definitely worth the $$$.
    "Absorb what is useful, discard what is useless, and add what is uniquely your own." Bruce Lee

"The only thing worse than being blind is having sight but no vision." - Helen Keller

"Get busy living, or get busy dying." Andy Dufresne

Well, I went cheap and happy with the results. Dirtstiffs suggested the Silverstar Ultar Bulbs which I picked up at Walmart for $45 per pair...not real cheap but a third the cost of the LED's. Just changed the low beams and adjusted the lights to hit a little higher on the road. Both very easy to change and adjust.

What a difference...exactly what I was looking to accomplish. If or when I decide to tackle the high beam replacement, I will probably go with the LED,s simply because it sounds like a real bitch to even get the the highs and something you only want to do once...during the winter!

But those Ultras did exactly what I wanted...100% better than the stocks. When do my next long haul road trip, I will tape one of the stock bulbs in the trunk just in case the Ultra burns out on the road, since life of these bulbs seem to be the major drawback.

Quote Originally Posted by oldxtreme View Post
    ... I will tape one of the stock bulbs in the trunk just in case the Ultra burns out on the road, since life of these bulbs seem to be the major drawback.
    Yup... there is a consequence for "burning hotter (and brighter)" plus the vibration that comes with scoot. Good strategy to carry a backup.
    Now...if only changing out a bulb wasn't such a PITA for someone with large hands. ;-)