False First Gear?

Thread: False First Gear?

False First Gear?

2016 F6B: On three or four occasions in the last two years I have shifted in to first gear and then rolled slowly over a speed bump (or in the last case onto my trailer) and the bike came out of gear (not under load). I've been riding about 50 years and have owned over 40 different bikes and have never experienced this before. So, I'm thinking it likely not operator error; although anything is possible. Has anyone else experienced similar?

I think it is a common problem with these bikes, ghost shifting I've heard it called. Mine will on occasion shift from 5th to 4th with no input from me. It has been blamed on operator error but it is not, it is the bike. Not a huge problem in my case, I can live with it.

When I shift into 5th gear I let off the gas for a sec and then roll on easy. Hoping easing off the gas will suck it into gear all the way.
    Something I had to do on a few bikes over the years.
    Its come out of every gear but 1st so far this summer. I have shifted from 1st into neutral, instead of 2nd a few times so I'll blame it on me,, in my case.
    Interesting though, I haven't heard of one coming out of gear when running through the Gears hard.
    If it did that, that would be BAD!
    ITS ALL GOOD

I find the GW shifter a little different than other bikes. The linkage runs differently, I wonder if that could be it. I've had a few bikes slip out of one gear or another from time to time. Never gave it much thought.