2019 Goldwing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2019 Goldwing

Circle-5

2019 Goldwing

Honda Powersports now has the MY2019 Goldwing lineup on their website. New colors – that's about it.

Well, I'm shocked that's the only difference.....
    Lol.

Still waiting for the quick release trunk (with speakers).
    Riding the upward spiral.

I am told that many dealers are "stuck", so-to-speak, with a bunch of 2018 models that are not selling...The standard GW,(old F6B) is not moving well at all...In my humble opinion, which is not worth much, the bikes are way over-priced, have some issues,and many riders do not want to give up several thousands of dollars loss on the previous F6B models because the value "tanked" due to slow sales from the on-set....Only time will tell I suppose, but I for one am not willing to spend $24,000 ++ just for a few more "gadgets and some up-grades when my 2013 runs just fine for me!!...Regards and ride safe

I'm with Opas....
    The F6B was the most poorly marketed bike in modern history.
    No one knows what it is - unless they have one.

The GoldWing Standard is in that same category.
    Many people have recently asked me if Isleen was the new Gold Wing!
    If Honda starts pulling the old HD marketing schtick where they try to get their constituency to "upgrade" every few years, they got another thing coming - and it ain't cash.
    These bikes are designed to be ridden for a LONG time.
    And I plan on doing that.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I'm with Opas....
    The F6B was the most poorly marketed bike in modern history.
    No one knows what it is - unless they have one.

The GoldWing Standard is in that same category.
    Many people have recently asked me if Isleen was the new Gold Wing!
    If Honda starts pulling the old HD marketing schtick where they try to get their constituency to "upgrade" every few years, they got another thing coming - and it ain't cash.
    These bikes are designed to be ridden for a LONG time.
    And I plan on doing that.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I was asked that a few times while on the Cortez rides, including one time with AzWingrider in Silverton. Too funny...

It's a topic that has been around and around, but I think Honda gambled with the new Wing in a way that Yamaha and Harley were not willing to do with their touring bikes.

They see what is happening to HD and their demographics...even though HD continues to lead in market share, even grow in market share, one must ask what is the market these days? 50% market share is great unless the number of buyers in that category are steadily dropping...just like a politician having high polling numbers, but loses because no one shows up to vote.

So, Honda is hoping they will capture a new market to replace the average Gold Wing rider, who, just guessing, is near 60 at this point, and on their last bike or second-to-last bike. In the process, they are gambling that these new buyers will come calling while not pissing off the GW faithful too much. I believe they knew there would be pushback from the veteran GW rider.

I don't know which type of consumer category I fall into in Honda's eyes, but I am 42, and like the new GW, but not enough to replace my F6B at this point. I am concerned about the storage space presently, and about the durability of this new machine long-term (just because it is new).

So, this gamble by Honda is certainly a long-term one that will not reveal itself as a winning bet or not for several more years, I am guessing.

-------------------------

On a related note, I work with several millennials. Like every generation, they have their own unique traits, good and bad and neutral. Three things I have noticed pretty consistently among these 20-35 year olds:

1) Their expression of loyalty is different than my generation (X) and older generations - we tend to be loyal to employers and brands that have served us well, even if there have been lapses in that service from time to time. Millienials hop around between brands and employers, getting what works best for them, as so much has equalized in brands and employers now as a result of understanding their buyers and employees want. I guess it is a successful outcome of competition.

2) Embracing risk and adventure - they still do it - but use a different format. These folks have been raised with access to different stimuli that fulfills that desire, and it often does not involve an engine and wheels, but a career and and travel and technology.

3) Socialization - There is always some online component to it, even if they are in the same room. Bonding through motorcycling or snowmobiling now seems to be isolated to those who live mostly in rural areas (steadily decreasing population).
    Last edited by VStarRider; 09-08-2018 at 08:41 AM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    It's a topic that has been around and around, but I think Honda gambled with the new Wing in a way that Yamaha and Harley were not willing to do with their touring bikes.

They see what is happening to HD and their demographics...even though HD continues to lead in market share, even grow in market share, one must ask what is the market these days? 50% market share is great unless the number of buyers in that category are steadily dropping.

So, Honda is hoping they will capture a new market to replace the average Gold Wing rider, who, just guessing, is near 60 at this point, and one their last bike or second-to-last bike. In the process, they are gambling that these new buyers will come calling while not pissing off the GW faithful too much. I believe they knew there would be pushback from the veteran GW rider.

I don't know which type of consumer category I fall into in Honda's eyes, but I am 42, and like the new GW, but not enough to replace my F6B at this point. I am concerned about the storage space presently, and about the durability of this new machine long-term (just because it is new).

So, this gamble by Honda is certainly a long-term one that will not reveal itself as a winning bet or not for several more years, I am guessing.

-------------------------

On a related note, I work with several millennials. Like every generation, they have their own unique traits, good and bad and neutral. Three things I have noticed pretty consistently among these 20-35 year olds:

1) Their expression of loyalty is different than my generation (X) and older generations - we tend to be loyal to employers and brands that have served us well, even if there have been lapses in that service from time to time. Millienials hop around between brands and employers, getting what works best for them, as so much has equalized in brands and employers now as a result of understanding their buyers and employees want. I guess it is a successful outcome of competition.

2) Embracing risk and adventure - they still do it - but use a different format. These folks have been raised with access to different stimuli that fulfills that desire, and it often does not involve an engine and wheels, but a career and and travel and technology.

3) Socialization - There is always some online component to it, even if they are in the same room. Bonding through motorcycling or snowmobiling now seems to be isolated to those who live mostly in rural areas (steadily decreasing population).
    I think you are spot on, mate.
    The migration of loyalty from a company to oneself and one's abilities can also be tied to having a personal 401k rather than a corporate pension.
    Times be a changin' - again!
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

The migration of loyalty from a company to oneself and one's abilities can also be tied to having a personal 401k rather than a corporate pension.
    Steve
    Steve, that is a great point that I had not considered as a factor in the diminishing loyalty of newer generations. Greed, in one form or another, observed in their upbringing in the 80s and 90s, landed their thinking in a different spot than yours and mine.

Another point is the diverse economy we live in - you are right - it is more about what YOU do and what YOU bring to the team and how much you value yourself that drives behavior among the younger people. Please do not misinterpret - this is no necessarily selfishness, rather learned norms and survival tactics in how this world does business in 2018.

One more point about the economy that will probably hurt motorcycling - it is a sharing economy - from transportation, to boating, to workspaces - companies like Uber, and Boat Club USA, and We Work all make it so you do not have to invest a disproportional amount of your income to things that get limited use or offer limited value. Tie up $30 grand on a motorcycle that sits in my garage at least 1/3 of the year? It does seem foolish, doesn't it...
    Last edited by VStarRider; 09-08-2018 at 08:49 AM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Steve
    This 57 yo Millenial saw that writing on the wall years ago, thank goodness. There was never going to be a pension for me, but the 401K has been berry, berry good...

I've told people for decades that we are all independent subcontractors. I've been downsized, or rightsized, or s**tsized, a couple of times, and the process is the same, and laughable. I was working remotely for both companies, so the notification was a phone call. They come in from your manager, who tells you that HR is on the phone. The HR person then takes over, tells you blah, blah, blah, and asks if you have any questions. The first time I did, the second, I didn't bother.

I actually get a kick out of the young folks these days, when they don't take their jobs as seriously as we may have. We all only have one life to live, and giving too much of that away to a company that will cut you at a moment's notice, is silly.