2019 Goldwing - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2019 Goldwing

I've seen a lot of "big boys toys" sit for months, some years on end. Same with boats. In the Fl. Keys, I've seen $250,000 boats sitting at a $800,000 to $1.5 million $$, water front home, both only used 2-3 weekends a year...… They're called "Snow Birds" = some of us called them "snow flakes" = others called them "PITA."
    I read a few months ago that HD market share was down. True? Anybody know? HD keeps building the same bike year after year, a new one looks almost identical to a 10yo one. The HD rider is getting to old to handle a 800+ lb. bike & HD has done little to entice younger riders. There's no shortage of low mileage used HD's. A friend brought one 4-5 months ago, hasn't got 1,000 miles on it.
    It seems like most folks that ride pre 2018 GW's like them much better than the new generation for several reasons. I understand Honda's reason for the changes but will folks be trading their older GW's? So far I'd say, no. My 2 cents of rambling.

Not to digress, but thinking about bikes and my future riding days, I'll be 79 in January and don't know how much longer I will ride so a new bike is not in my future for now...If I continue to ride it will probably be an Indian Scout with bags and a windshield...(550 lbs vs. 840 lbs) for the F6B..I also do not want to spend a bunch of money, way to much, for another big bike at this point in my life..Although I do get a pension from Ford, my 401K "tanked " back in the recession of 2008/9 as most of it was in Ford stock which is now just hanging on!!...I hope Honda is successful with the new models, but I have not seen one 2018 anywhere around here in Michigan on my last few rides, but always a "butt load" of HD's...As said on earlier posts, the world is changing rapidly and I don't see younger people buying large bikes to ride as they cost so much these days....As some have said, does it really make sense to tie-up $25-30,000 on a bike that most of us can only ride a few months a year??

I am becoming a rare breed - 19th year with the same employer, and a pension.

In between my posts, I just rolled up 140+ miles riding through the Finger Lakes south of Rochester. Not many bikes out as it is only 60 degrees today, but, just like Opas noted, at least 50% Harleys. Saw a few adventure bikes, a VStrom and a Triumph and several cafe-racer type bikes.

I'll tell ya, there is a helluva lot of value in an adventure bike ... great performance, ride, cruise and ABS for under $15k in a lot of cases. Maybe that's why they are so popular and every manufacturer now offers at least one model.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6