CB Radio with Bluetooth
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CB Radio with Bluetooth

CB Radio with Bluetooth

Got my 2016 F6B and have been riding with the local chapter of the GWRRA. Of course they all use CB for communication on rides. I recently purchased a Packtalk Bold for my helmet and love it. Listen to books, talk on phone, listen to music and have even linked to a friends while riding. Excellent quality and love it. So what I am looking for is a portable CB that I can Bluetooth and listen / talk with the group and use my headset. I connected with a couple of guys here who have installed the Factory CB but it is not a small effort nor a small cost. After that you still need to buy a wired headset or I found a Sena Freewire that would work too. Needless to say this option is about $1000 - $1200 with a lot of labor. Seems to me a huge waste of money since I ride in groups like that maybe 6 times per year. I just have not found any portable CB that I can mount on a RAM Mount or similar with Bluetooth interface so I can talk on the Packtalk headset and not have to get a wired one on another helmet.

Any help and insight into what anyone else may have figured out would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sena sells a device that will let you use a cb and have it paired to a Bluetooth helmet.
    Give me a moment and I will find its name.

Sena sells a device that will let you use a cb and have it paired to a Bluetooth helmet.

It is called a freewire.

Quote Originally Posted by shortleg0521 View Post

It is called a freewire.
    I know the Freewire will connect to the honda bike and then allow you to Bluetooth to the bike, but I want to connect it to a portable CB. Which CB are you using? I only saw the freewire for Honda or Harley not for a portable. They make a SENA SR10 but that is Bluetooth 2.1 not 4.0+ so it is really old. I had a friend who used it with a Midland CB and said he could reach maybe 0.25 miles and was not pleased with it. Not sure if anyone has any other experience with another CB or another Bluetooth unit.

I have a buddy that rides with a portable CB that he's got plugged into a bluetooth transceiver and links to his helmet. I imagine the Freewire would work the same, in that there's an AUX port that you could plug your CB into.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

Midland 75-822 handheld CB is frequently mentioned. Connect to Sena SR10 two way radio adapter, has a push to talk on the device and a remote button that you can plug into device and put on left hand grip. The Midland radio comes with a car power/external antenna adapter or you can use batteries and the included rubber ducky antenna.

I have been looking at this for quite a while, there is a RAM mount for belt clip radio that can be used to hold the Midland CB on the clutch reservoir.

ram mount.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by terryboyle; 09-12-2018 at 02:55 PM. Reason: adding info
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

That sounds interesting. I'll have to look at it closer.

Sena calls it a freewire

With respect to the FreeWire versus an SR10:
    I don't see where the Freewire accommodates a push to talk for transmitting on the CB radio, you can pass the audio output through it to the headsets.

The FreeWire as I recall is capable of sending a stereo signal so I it is ideal for music applications, the SR10 looks like it was built specifically for the 2 way radio application.
    2014 Red F6B with ABS
    Baker: Hand Wings, BikeMP3: rack, Cardo Packtalk Bold Cyclepump: air compressor, Garmin Zumo 396
    Honda: battery maintainer, center stand, passenger backrest, shop manual (2012-16), tall screen
    MEC: first aid kit Nelson Rigg: Route 1 Traveler Tour Trunk Bag
    Rivco: Honda Adjustable Highway Mounts, Flatfoot pegs
    Uclear: HBC200 intercom system (spares)
    ZUMOLOCK to lock on Zumo 396

Quote Originally Posted by terryboyle View Post
    ... the SR10 looks like it was built specifically for the 2 way radio application.
    Correct.
    The SR10 serves as a wireless, bluetooth solution for my Midland CB to my Sena SMH10 headset.
    I've been using the Midland/SR10 solution for about 3 years.
    wetSena.jpg
    Easy on - Easy off. I only used it on my Valk when riding with my Goldwing friends.
    Now I use it on my F6B... when I'm with my Goldwing friends.
    Last edited by gadgeteer; 09-14-2018 at 08:07 AM.