how do you move your bike?

Thread: how do you move your bike?

how do you move your bike?

When pushing your scoot around by hand, which side do you do it from?

Due to the way my bikes are stored in the garage (a VFR and the 6), I have gotten used to mounting, moving, and pushing them from the right side. What this does is put the front brake in my right hand and the side stand down. It makes it much more unlikely that they will get away from me. If things start to get out of hand, grab the brake and push the bike towards the side stand. I guess you could do the same thing with the bike in gear and use the clutch as a brake, but then there is no safety of the side stand if the bike starts to get away from you by going over to the right side. Most everyone I see pushes from the left side.... Just Wonderin'?

It all depends upon the operating area I have to work with....
    I stow the training bikes in large CONEX containers and depending upon where the room is, the style of bike (either more or less vertical when on side stand), and my mood, I'll use either side.
    Cheers.
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by sabre85 View Post
    When pushing your scoot around by hand, which side do you do it from?

Due to the way my bikes are stored in the garage (a VFR and the 6), I have gotten used to mounting, moving, and pushing them from the right side. What this does is put the front brake in my right hand and the side stand down. It makes it much more unlikely that they will get away from me. If things start to get out of hand, grab the brake and push the bike towards the side stand. I guess you could do the same thing with the bike in gear and use the clutch as a brake, but then there is no safety of the side stand if the bike starts to get away from you by going over to the right side. Most everyone I see pushes from the left side.... Just Wonderin'?
    If a side stand ever folds up on you when you are pushing from the right you will know why most push from the left. Try balancing the bike on your hip while reaching over to put down the side stand......aint going to happen

My driveway goes straight in from the road, then turns right towards the garage.

I ride straight in, and stop. I then dismount, put the side stand down, and push the bike back and up the driveway in reverse from the left side with my right hand on the passenger handgrip and left hand on left handlebar grip. There is slight incline while pushing bike back into the garage.

My one cent:

1.) Push this bike only with the proper footwear. Motorcycle boots have significantly more grip than sneakers.

2.) Be aware of where your feet are when pushing. It is easy to trip over the side stand when it is in the down position.

3.) Backing up while pushing and turning the handlebars to the right does not seem to be an issue for control, but turning them to the left while pushing it back may cause the bike to want to lean right. You had better have the strength to pull it back towards you.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Just mount the bike. If you have trouble pushing it around while not started, the bike may be too big and heavy for you.

I always mount the bike when pushing it around. And, I keep it in gear and use the clutch and brake if it starts going too fast in one direction or the other. Engine off until I get it positioned to pull forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Joflewbyu2 View Post
    Just mount the bike. If you have trouble pushing it around while not started, the bike may be too big and heavy for you.
    +1. I get on it,leave the kickstand down for insurance and move it around...