Check Engine light
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Check Engine light

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina

Check Engine light

I recently bought my 2nd F6B after selling the first. This one is a 2016 that had 3k miles on it when I bought it. It now has 7500 miles. Twice I have ridden it in stormy weather. Downpours! Yesterday I was riding it back from Western NC to Myrtle Beach. Yes it was pouring. But twice now after riding it in rain the Check Engine light has come on. The first time I let it go after it went out and stayed off the next morning. I attributed it to something getting wet. Yesterday the engine light came on and stayed on. The oil level is fine. The coolant level is fine. I am hoping that when the bike dries out it will go off again. Just wondering if any of you have had this happen to you or if you guys had any suggestions or ideas. If I take it in to mother honda they should be able plug up to it and tell me why the light is on correct?
    It just seems to me that a little rain, ok a lot of rain shouldnt make the check engine light come on

Is it blinking? If so, each long one counts as 10, the short ones count as one, that's your code. Search box @ upper R corner of page, type : "codes" & you'll see a list of them in one of the threads.

No sir, its not blinking. Its solid on

If it's solid ON, and the bike starts up, there are a plethora of things it could be - yes, Honda can plug C3PO into the F6B and get a translation of aches & pains.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

From my Code listing:

If FI (Fault Indicator) light comes on pull over but DO NOT shut bike off. Put in neutral and put side stand down, RPM’s below 1500. This signals the ECM to send the error code to the FI light. Count the number of long and short flashes. This will give you the error code.

If you shut the bike off the error code is lost - sort of. It will be retained in the ECM but it is harder to get out. If the bike stops and the will not restart you can get the FI light to flash the error code by cranking the engine for 10 seconds. The FI light will then flash the error code.

Long Blink = 10 Short Blink = 1
    i.e. long long long short short short = 33 check error code 33

Number of MIL blinks .Symptoms .Cause

0 No blinks • Engine does not start
    • Open circuit in the power input and ground wires of the ECM: • Faulty bank angle sensor
    • Open circuit in bank angle sensor related wires: • Faulty FI IGN relay: • Open circuit in FI IGN relay related wires
    • Faulty engine stop switch: • Open circuit in engine stop switch related wires: • Faulty ECM: • Blown FI IGN fuse (20 A)
    • Blown ST. KILL fuse (10 A):

0 No blinks • Engine operates normally
    • Open circuit in MIL wire: • Faulty combination meter: • Faulty ECM

0 Stays lit • Engine operates normally
    • Short circuit in service check connector wire: • Short circuit in MIL wire: • Faulty ECM
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Thank you gentleman. I truly appreciate the help. I did not touch the bike today as I had a million things to do....but will pull it out in the morning and see what I can find out.
    Again, Thank you

I have the same issue. Thing drys out, light goes out. Dealer gave me some nonsense about 'if it happens again....'. Hell, it happens EVERY time I ride in any decent rain. You'd think that a "touring" bike would be able to "tour" in all weather without bitching.

Oh, and when that goes on, putting my kickstand down shuts the bike off whether I'm in neutral or not. I look at the moron dealer: "think they're related?" Response: Ummmmmm.

They pull the code from the computer but it doesn't seem to tell them anything. Sounds like Honda has the same problems with error codes that Microsoft has.
    2016 F6B Deluxe with goodies.

These computers must be so sensitive they bitch about any anomaly. Moisture can create more, or less resistance in the system.
    Especially in the push buttons and radio controls.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Draxsr View Post
    I have the same issue. Thing drys out, light goes out. Dealer gave me some nonsense about 'if it happens again....'. Hell, it happens EVERY time I ride in any decent rain. You'd think that a "touring" bike would be able to "tour" in all weather without bitching.

Oh, and when that goes on, putting my kickstand down shuts the bike off whether I'm in neutral or not. I look at the moron dealer: "think they're related?" Response: Ummmmmm.

They pull the code from the computer but it doesn't seem to tell them anything. Sounds like Honda has the same problems with error codes that Microsoft has.
    Draxsr,
    My 2016 Deluxe did this to me twice coming home yesterday in the rain. Deploying my sidestand with bike in neutral and engine light on killed mine also. Did you or the dealer find a solution yet?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964