Crowned road in the north - Page 3
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Crowned road in the north

Accelerated wear may be due to the kickstand being on the left side. Bike does spend a lot of time leaning left.

It could be the rotation of the earth? Just sayin.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    Gentlemen,

The reason why your front tire wears more on the left then on the right is because you ride more on it then you do on the right side. It has nothing to do with the crown of the road. Many roads do not have crowns.

When you are making a left turn at intersections, you are leaning and accelerating AND traveling 50 to 80 feet on the left side of the tire before you are upright once again. When you are at a intersection and making a right turn, you are leaning and MILDLY accelerating AND traveling 15 to 20 feet on the right side of the tire before you are upright once again. The LONG left turn travel in conjunction with acceleration on the left side is the culprit. The same occurs in England to the right side of the tires, they have a long right side travel at intersections. If you ride mainly in city, this wear will occur faster.

You have a 900 lbs bike with an average passenger weight of 200lbs, 1100 lbs been applied on the side of tire while accelerating ... tires will wear.

If you have ever looked at the front tire of a Goldwing Trike ... you will see that it wears only on the center of the front tire because the Goldwing Trike does not lean.

Solution.... never make left turns and the tire will not wear on left side

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/

+ on the 40-41 pressure. It eliminated the front cupping on my bike ...

If you Google "how does road crown effect tire wear, there are dozens of articles about it. Yes, road crown does have an effect on tire wear. Car manufactures even set camber angles on some vehicles to offset this effect. No two roads are built the same, and no two tires will wear out exactly the same. Road crown is only one of several things that will cause a tire to wear out uneven, but it does play a partial role.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    If you Google "how does road crown effect tire wear, there are dozens of articles about it. Yes, road crown does have an effect on tire wear. Car manufactures even set camber angles on some vehicles to offset this effect. No two roads are built the same, and no two tires will wear out exactly the same. Road crown is only one of several things that will cause a tire to wear out uneven, but it does play a partial role.
    Agree that there are also other factors involved. I just thought it was interesting to add crowned roads to the equation. Never even crossed my mind before. Now that I am aware of it, I have noticed that the backroads I ride here in NE Ohio are crowned very high.