2019 F6B Rally - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 F6B Rally

Wow!
    I like that idea of a "rally in motion" - because isn't that what we're about?
    It will take some serious coordination, but I'm sure it's nothing that can't be overcome by due diligence and a few above average IQs.
    We could do this.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

what if the route was divided into regions and each region had 2 or 3 locals in charge of that portion to suggest some good roads to ride and sites to see. They would know the area and camp grounds and motels.

For those of you in favor of a tour what I had in mind was a little less ambitious than what some of you might want. As an example i will propose a tour in the northern Rockies, an area I am familiar with. Keep in mind this is just spit balling.

Meet in Rapid City, North Dakota. First days ride would be the Black Hills. The Needles Highway, Iron Mountain road, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse National Monument, Etc and return to same hotel

Day two Ride to Cody Wyoming with stops at Devils Tower and Custer Battlefield. Spend the night in Cody Wyoming.

Day three, ride Yellowstone National Park and Return to Cody for the night.

Day four, ride the Beartooth Highway and ride on to Misoula, Montana for the night.

Day five, Ride to Glacier National Park and ride the Going to the Sun Road. Return To Misoula for the night

Day six, Ride Lolo Pass and on to Lewiston Idaho for the night. End of tour.

With a tour such as this you could join or leave the tour at any point on the route depending on the time you have available or depending on what interests you. Keep in mind that this is just an example and a tour like this could work anywhere. Just some thoughts but maybe it will give somebody an idea.

Keep riding and keep smiling
    Az Wingrider

I have been to all those places except Lo Lo pass, would do it again those are some pretty big mileage days, You think everyone could keep up? The only other thing I could add is that Beartooth usually does not open until mid to late June and the last time I was in Yellowstone I got snowed in a few days in Mid June. Snow is also a factor in Glacier as well.
    Last edited by Kokomo Kevin; 10-06-2018 at 09:09 PM. Reason: more info

I like this idea a lot. I would be on board for this or something similar.
    Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post
    For those of you in favor of a tour what I had in mind was a little less ambitious than what some of you might want. As an example i will propose a tour in the northern Rockies, an area I am familiar with. Keep in mind this is just spit balling.

Meet in Rapid City, North Dakota. First days ride would be the Black Hills. The Needles Highway, Iron Mountain road, Mount Rushmore, Crazy Horse National Monument, Etc and return to same hotel

Day two Ride to Cody Wyoming with stops at Devils Tower and Custer Battlefield. Spend the night in Cody Wyoming.

Day four, ride the Beartooth Highway and ride on to Misoula, Montana for the night.

Day five, Ride to Glacier National Park and ride the Going to the Sun Road. Return To Misoula for the night

With a tour such as this you could join or leave the tour at any point on the route depending on the time you have available or depending on what interests you. Keep in mind that this is just an example and a tour like this could work anywhere. Just some thoughts but maybe it will give somebody an idea.

Az Wingrider

If we did this it would be best the last part of August or very early September. I did the routing off the top of my head but I think the only big mileage day would be from Rapid City to Cody Wyoming and anybody worried about that long a day could by pass Devil's Tower and Custer's Battlefield and run the interstate most of the way. About a 420 mile day.

As I said I am really promoting an idea more than this particular route but This is a great area.

Az Wingrider

Quote Originally Posted by Az Wingrider View Post

Az Wingrider
    All good, I've been to most of these. The Rapid City I went to is in SoDak; is the NoDak version better?

Crap!! Brain fade. What can I say I am old. Rapid City is South Dakota.

This will be tough to put together for sure, but what a dream of a trip!!!! And it could surely go on from Lewiston and include some of the fantastic riding in Washington and Oregon, and perhaps coming back to the east on other roads and then include some of those fantastic roads in Idaho that are south of Lewiston. It would be tough to do it all, but what an experience that would be. And for those that can't do it all, they could join in for some of the great segments.

And as Jeff from Texas indicated earlier, we would need to include good lodging with comfortable beds and hoopefully a good breakfast. We all count our dollars, but cheap and poor accommodations are not the way to go. Lots of us have young minds, but our old bodies require comfortable lodging.

2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

It is a great trip, I have been out there two times, 6 weeks each time and still feel I did not make a dent in all the great rides out there. Washington State and Oregon, Wyoming, Montana, you cant go wrong. The only issue is it is so big, trying to cram it all in for a week Rally is impossible. Each time I went out I rode almost 7,000 miles on each trip. Also you will need to budget at least $200 per day for food/gas/lodging as well. Let me suggest something, after planning two trips like this for 4 bikers was very hard from a logistical standpoint. Since we are spitball-in here let me throw out this suggestion . There are several highly rated motorcycle tour groups out there that we could contact that could either hire of help us. These folks have the whole shebang network already set up. They plan the tour, set up all logistics such as food/lodging/ leading the group/providing chase support for bike breakdowns, mechanical issues etc. Yes they do it for a business, but believe me, they KNOW the area, roads and all the support that would ever be needed on a trip like this.
    Last edited by Kokomo Kevin; 10-07-2018 at 09:38 AM.