2019 F6B Rally - Page 8
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: 2019 F6B Rally

Hey Kokomo Kevin, these are Honda's, not Harley's. No need for those chase trailer and spare bikes that the Harley tours need.

Never been to a Honda rally so I don't know what kind of logistics are involved. Are there suppliers at the rally? Are there fees involved or do riders just show up? Been to the Sturgis rally several times and that is now a big money maker for a lot of people. Is the F6 rally anything like Sturgis?

These rallies are really small gatherings (less than 50 bikes normally). Perhaps a vendor (Rick) or two. Hanging and Riding!!!!
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

oldxtreme Agreed these ARE Honda's and you are right they never break down, but like a Harley they ride on the same tires! My only point about a "Moving Rally" is the poor guy who has a tire breakdown who has hotel reservations for the night 200 miles away. Chaser would be nice, just an FYI they dont have a lot of "close" support in locales out west! Never been to a Honda rally either but planning a trip is different then planning a rally at a fixed location would guess. I am game for either next year, looking forward to meeting a few of you guys.

Kokomo, you are right on about about little support on some of those western roads and towns! I think I was going across Nevada and passed a small road sign that said :"No Service for 137 miles, well that meant there is NOTHING but wild horses, sand and sun for those 137 miles...not even a cross road! When I started on that western run, I got an air compressor and tire plug kit because if you have a flat out there, you are flat out of luck! Almost NO other road traffic either. I wouldn't want to try that trip on a Harley without a spare bike on a chase truck!

Been to Sturgis many times from Ohio and always pass at least three Harley's off to the side of the road. There was a group of Harley riders doing the Grand Canyon/Bryce tour and they had a chase trailer and a bike strapped down on the trailer. Same thing at the Tail...group of Harley's followed by a truck with a trailer and a spare bike!

Other than being able to wear an HD jacket and get a cool tee shirt from every Harley shop in the world, I can not figure out why any serious road warrior would want a Harley... unless they have a bunch of Honda riders with them to take them to the nearest Harley dealer when they break down!

A group of 50 riders could just about fit into any town. Do most people that show up at the rally to motel it or camp?

In Mt Carmel, you can hit the Grand Canyon, Bryce and Zion all within about 100 mile radius. However, nothing much else to do but ride and look,unless you are into hiking or riding horses.

Wow. Go riding, be prepared, and don’t worry about it. Have your bike in good shape, good tires, and yes, carry a compressor and plug kit. That’s the way my bike is equipped, plus with a cell phone to call fir roadside assistance if needed.

Over the past 19 years I’ve ridden most of those desolate roads on a Valk, GL1800, FJR1300, and the F6B for about 250k miles and have not used any of them fir my bike and have never been stranded or even needed to use roadside assistance. Knock on wood!!!! Of course it can happen, but unlikely—just be prepared!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by oldxtreme View Post
    .... but ride and look,unless you are into hiking or riding horses.
    For me this is all about. Riding and looking...and hanging out with other riders in the evenings and enjoying a great meal here and there.

Agreed about carrying tools supplies to cover issues. My last trip out west was with 4 Hondas, 2 Legacy Valks and 2 1500 Goldwings. 1st Goldwing shredded a tire in Yellowstone, we limped into Jackson Hole and he was lucky enough to find an independent shop to replace his tire. Next day we ventured down towards Vegas and got just south of Mesquite in 110 degree weather and the 2nd Goldwing lost his fuel pump. Had to wait for a tow into Vegas and arrived at 2 AM. Was stuck there for 3 days waiting for fuel pump to be shipped over from LA. What an experience! Both guys were sticklers on maintenance but things happen. I never leave on a trip without a good credit card, Roadside assistance plan(confirmed coverage prior to leaving) Cash, Tire plug kit/pump, Cell phone and charger, Yes a self defense weapon as well. Ihave taken many trips cross country in both directions and have been very lucky, but SH_it happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokomo Kevin View Post
    ... but SH_it happens.
    Unfortunately it does. I was nervous about posting my comment as I did not want to jinx myself!!!!! But, if you prepare the best you can, just enjoy and hope for the best. Odds are on our side on these bikes!

My riding buddy had a U-Joint go out on his Valk Interstate in 2011 when we traveled back east. We babied it to get into Roanoke, VA to the Honda dealer. Unfortunately no U-Joint available anywhere in the US. Fortunately he had a new one home in Denver and his wife overnighted it to Roanoke. Fixed right away and never impacted our trip as we were spending the week fishing with other friends that week in the area.

The amazing part: His extra parts were so organized that his wife found it with no problem.

Lucky Guy! My wife would have no idea what a u joint is! Agree with you all, would never ever venture on any of these trips with anything other than a Honda, They are just the most reliable machine to drive and they have fantastic performance from stock. Looking forward to meeting you guys next year. Just hoping it is a western trip. I still have a few more things to see out there on my bucket list.

BTW Yellowstone is currently undergoing some major road construction so there are areas where traffic is backed up and the roads are soft loose gravel. If a rally segment was to include a ride through YNP then road conditions should investigated before hand, unless you happen to like long lineups on soft gravel. This year the area around Fishing Bridge which is not far from the [East entrance] from Cody is under construction. A lot of remediation work is planned for the park.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!