Extended Warranty - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Extended Warranty

I now live in Florida and the dealer I have gone to is KM Cycle & Marine.

I have a feeling that if I went to my dealer back in Missouri the result might be different.

Big St Charles in St Louis MO

53driver, warranty covered your sensor @ 87K ?
    Dealer here in Eustis wouldn't even call the Honda rep. about it. Charged me $229.87 installed w/ tax, fair price but warranty would have been better.

Quote Originally Posted by olegoat345 View Post
    53driver, warranty covered your sensor @ 87K ?
    Dealer here in Eustis wouldn't even call the Honda rep. about it. Charged me $229.87 installed w/ tax, fair price but warranty would have been better.
    At the time of replacement, it was about 67k.
    But they still would have done it at 87k.
    It isn't a "user serviceable" part.
    It has no service requirements that they could say I never performed.
    It's definitely part of the engine - Fuel management system.
    My dealer was just embarrassed that it took them 4 days to get the part.

I bought the warranty from Russelville Honda for $600 in April 2018. My local dealer in Pasadena wanted $1200. The month after my warranty went into effect, I had 3 sensors go out. They repaired them under warranty and the cost was over $1000.00 Last week I had a rt fork seal blow out. Took it in for them to cover it under warranty and it was denied because I have 120,000+ miles on it. Anyone have success going to Honda and complaining about a denial? I am now wondering just how much my warranty will cover. They even denied my steering bearing that is starting to click when I turn

Crap Shoot,, Just like any other insurance.
    My luck= I buy em and don't use em.
    Then when I don't buy em, the product goes bad just after the regular warrantee is up.
    Karma?
    ITS ALL GOOD

Manufacturers sell extended warranties to make money, so the odds are that you will come out on the losing end. There's a huge markup on the things. Dealers usually pocket half of the list price. Why else would they advertise the things so heavily?

I've had extended warranties on 2 Valkyries and a Kawasaki. I never used them once, even though one Valk was still covered at 100,000 miles. I've also had the warranties on 2 Fords. I used them a few times, but the claims weren't close to the price of the warranty. In fact, I've never owned a vehicle where I would have come out ahead had I bought an extended warranty.

I'll never buy one for my F6B. These bikes are nearly bulletproof. The problems are usually minor, and I'd rather fix those myself because the dealers are so far away.

I did buy one for my F150, mostly for convenience. I found a dealer online who sells them for a few bucks over cost. Then if something goes wrong, I just drop it off at a dealer, they give me a free rental, and it's fixed in a day. Without the warranty I'd put it off, shop around, and maybe fix it myself.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Manufacturers sell extended warranties to make money, so the odds are that you will come out on the losing end. There's a huge markup on the things. Dealers usually pocket half of the list price. Why else would they advertise the things so heavily?

I've had extended warranties on 2 Valkyries and a Kawasaki. I never used them once, even though one Valk was still covered at 100,000 miles. I've also had the warranties on 2 Fords. I used them a few times, but the claims weren't close to the price of the warranty. In fact, I've never owned a vehicle where I would have come out ahead had I bought an extended warranty.
    Agreed! These are money makers for the dealerships, and the companies that sell them. That's how they stay in business. You are actually buying an insurance policy--- your betting that your vehicle will fail. That's the only way you could come out ahead! No, never bought one, on cycle, car, or truck, in 50 years of driving. Saved enough to cover repairs, if needed.
    Last edited by 53driver; 01-29-2019 at 08:10 PM. Reason: fix quote