Article on the woes of the motorcycle's industry
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Article on the woes of the motorcycle's industry

Article on the woes of the motorcycle's industry

Here is a good article about the state of the motorcycle industry
    Mostly HD and Indian
    http://moto-emag.com/indian.htm

My HD stock is back down to lower $40s from mid $50s.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by JackB View Post
    Here is a good article about the state of the motorcycle industry
    Mostly HD and Indian
    http://moto-emag.com/indian.htm
    Nice "old" article...It was published over a year ago and according to the market, sales on motorcycles have gotten much worse for Indian and Harley....The nicest and most up-to-date dealer in my area was an Victory/ Indian dealership owned by Roger Penske's team...Great service, talented techs, and a beautiful store....Closed last week for good due to poor sales!!!....What a shame....Regards

Yep article is a year old.
    My G/F rode HD's for several decades. Her last HD was a "SwitchBack" terrible brakes, rough ride, top heavy, in the shop several times.
    Indian was giving big $$ on HD's trade in's. She bit on a Scout. She loves it, rides it hard, it handles great, no warranty issues, no problems at all. She dropped some serious $$$ to "make it hers", it looks "special" she's done a great job with it.
    I had a new '16 Chief, rode it 500-600 miles, then test rode a "B." Brought a great used '13 "B" from a forum member. The Chief had to go. Only lost $1,000 on it. Rest is history.

...yet each manufacturer seems to be building a bike that goes after a segment of the HD/Indian buyer.

Yamaha has the Eluder and Star Venture.
    BMW has the Grand America
    Suzuki and Kawi haven't updated their big twins, but still offer several cruiser and/or tourer models
    Moto-Guzzi has a cruiser
    and several others I am sure I cannot think of.

The market research folks at these large manufacturers are not idiots. What are they seeing when this article is just one of many noting the decline of this segment of the bike industry?

For the record, the long term trend for the snowmobile industry is a slow decline as well.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

The millennial's are just not that interested in the sport, and sales are showing the decline.
    They want electronic gadgets. Put more technology in bikes to make life easer to get their attention?
    With traffic as wild as it is now, the decline could continue.
    Hard core riders like us just art being bread anymore.
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by tenxxx View Post
    The millennial's are just not that interested in the sport, and sales are showing the decline.
    They want electronic gadgets. Put more technology in bikes to make life easer to get their attention?
    With traffic as wild as it is now, the decline could continue.
    Hard core riders like us just art being bread anymore.
    These so-called "millennial's see bikes as a useless tool in their world of gadgets, etc...Most of these folks, in my opinion, are just spoiled insecure children that have never grasped what the real world is like...Rich parents giving them everything, no desire to work hard, want to change America with their "left-wing" radical politics and other nonsense...Oh well, I suppose each new generation leaves a lot of people "wondering"...I guess I am just getting old as the the United States is becoming a "scary" place to live...See the article on the Internet today that claims these "millennial's" are changing politics as we know it....Maybe a good thing, but my guess is NOT....Regards and ride safe
    Last edited by opas ride; 10-07-2018 at 04:53 PM.

Could the driving habits of the cell phone operators have an influence on risk managing motorcycle customers?

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Retired Army View Post
    Could the driving habits of the cell phone operators have an influence on risk managing motorcycle customers?
    That is THE number 1 concern of all my students in the MSF classes.

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    That is THE number 1 concern of all my students in the MSF classes.
    Right on my friend!!!..Anyone using a cell phone or texting while driving,especially in traffic, should be fined $5,000 and lose their drivers license for 5 years or more....Stupid, self serving "ass holes" who have no regard for others and think they are so "important" that they must talk/text wherever they are!!...Regards and ride safe, if that is possible these days!!!