tire life - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tire life

My new tire was thick and very ridged in the center.
    The old one felt like I could push my finger through it in the center.
    That was 12,500 miles with no cords showing. Scary soft!
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    I think another 1000 miles can be had if you stick to only making right hand turns. Attachment 5764
    You really need to stop riding only at Daytona.

I've got 30,000km on my original OEM stones. Tires look very good(no cracks) and not near the wear bars. I can't figure out why I'm getting such good life out of these compared to other folks here but not complaining either. Even a local shop is impressed. Next spring maybe but only because of age. (2013) I run 38 front and 42 rear.
    2013 F6B in black of course

Quote Originally Posted by Brasco View Post
    How many kilometres or miles you have on that tire, Lloyd? I had a rear tire (Stone) that went from looking like it still had decent life at about 19,000 km (12,000 miles) to being thread bare like yours in another 1,000 km (600 miles). Was riding in extreme heat in Hell's Canyon (eastern Oregon). The heat and hard riding in canyon just ate it up. Won't be pushing my current Stones past 19,000 km/12,000 miles on a road trip again.
    Pretty much same story. I got 20,300 kilometers on it and at 19300 it looked smooth but I thought I was good for a bit but wrong..it went quick after 19300

Quote Originally Posted by Navvet View Post
    Hey Lloyd, a run flat car tire will give you greater mileage as well as better traction in the snow !!!

yeah probably right but I hate the cold

On my past AVONs I've gotten 14-17,000 miles on the rear w/ 42psi & 18-20,000 miles front w/ 40psi as AVON suggest. Don't know about the one's on the B, showing very little wear @ 4,500 miles. I always keep a very close eye on my tire pressure, for safety & mileage reasons. I usually get new tires as soon as it gets close to the wear bars. Don't trust tread that close during a FL rain storm.
    We had a guy in our group, that had a chicken stripe all the way around his rear tire. Too cheap to buy a new tire. We make him ride in the back as no one wanted him to crash in front of them. He stopped riding with us for a while. He then showed up with a new el cheapo rear tire.

I run my Mezzlers at 40/42. The more they wear the better they seem to hold the road, however they seem deform rapidly if you don't keep on top of the tire pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by lloydmoore1 View Post
    Pretty much same story. I got 20,300 kilometers on it and at 19300 it looked smooth but I thought I was good for a bit but wrong..it went quick after 19300
    If my math is on 20300kilometers is just over 12 maybe 12thousand 500 miles give or take....About the same right ?

My father in law would ride em till they looked like that and worse. His motto was "use em till you see air". Gotta love Dutch guys who grew up during WW2.

I am wondering if worn tires actually have better grip on dry pavement than tires with a lot of tread remaining ... larger contact patch?
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6