Into the Hellhole, Belly of the Beast, tomorrow
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Into the Hellhole, Belly of the Beast, tomorrow

Into the Hellhole, Belly of the Beast, tomorrow

I'd rather get married, again, than do this but it must be done
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Enjoy. While you are in there, and if you remember, snap a picture, I'd like to see where the entry point of the air intake is, so I can run my endoscope camera in mine and investigate it's condition. thx
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by SpencerPJ View Post
    Enjoy. While you are in there, and if you remember, snap a picture, I'd like to see where the entry point of the air intake is, so I can run my endoscope camera in mine and investigate it's condition. thx
    Will do, I'll do some video also

Get a set of the Air Filter Intake Covers to install while the cowl is apart that much, or make your own out of mesh, etc.
    2016 F6B Standard Matte Silver. Freedom Combat Slip-Ons, BaggerShield 11" - 19" Sport Shield, Kuryakyn Ergo II Highway Pegs, Ultimate King Seat w/Driver Backrest, Pathfinder Running/Turnsignal/Driving Lights, Beeline Moto Navigation, INNOVV K2 Camera, DHS Racing Shifter Linkage Upgrade, Show Chrome Handlebar Risers and Luggage Rack.

Whoa! I never knew Wingstuff sold those intake covers. Gonna definitely get me a set.

21 years Army (retired)
    ...been everywhere, seen everything, done almost everything.

IBA 80537

Has anyone installed an air filter monitor gauge? It would remove the guesswork. They're inexpensive and common on large trucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaSteve View Post
    Get a set of the Air Filter Intake Covers to install while the cowl is apart that much, or make your own out of mesh, etc.

Thanks for the heads up

F6Dave - Unless one buys a monitor that has an electronic switch to tell when it "trips", I suspect it would be difficult to visually check the condition of the monitor, given where the filter is. My old 6.0 Ford had the one with a switch, but would involve making a simple circuit to monitor it.

SpencerPJ - The intake horns go just under the fork shield. I've attached a photo of mine when I had it apart last. The horns are loose, since I had the cover off for the filter, but you can see where they go.

By the way, tax4free...if you've had any codes for the cam sensor or hard to start (spins over but does not fire, whether a code present or not), filter changes are a great time to change that camshaft position sensor, which is somewhat prone to failure on the GL1800s. I had a few of those instances, and replaced mine proactively the last time I did a filter change. Good luck!

PXL_20201003_193535266 (1).jpgPXL_20201003_193535266 (1).jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    SpencerPJ - The intake horns go just under the fork shield. I've attached a photo of mine when I had it apart last. The horns are loose, since I had the cover off for the filter, but you can see where they go.
    Thank You !!!
    2013 F6B 1800B
    Don't be a thermometer, be a thermostat

Quote Originally Posted by rdbonds View Post
    F6Dave - Unless one buys a monitor that has an electronic switch to tell when it "trips", I suspect it would be difficult to visually check the condition of the monitor, given where the filter is. My old 6.0 Ford had the one with a switch, but would involve making a simple circuit to monitor it.

By the way, tax4free...if you've had any codes for the cam sensor or hard to start (spins over but does not fire, whether a code present or not), filter changes are a great time to change that camshaft position sensor, which is somewhat prone to failure on the GL1800s. I had a few of those instances, and replaced mine proactively the last time I did a filter change. Good luck!

PXL_20201003_193535266 (1).jpgPXL_20201003_193535266 (1).jpg
    I've seen some monitors with fittings and a hose allowing the gauge to be mounted remotely. They aren't very expensive, about the price of the filter. I'm tempted to try it.