Some random musings - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some random musings

Watch for the damn deer, everyday I see a new carcass along side the road. Rut is horrible this year, we have a herd of Does every night in our field.
    I rode 14K plus this year it was a great riding year.
    My brother was taken off his bike by a deer running out of the ditch, his life did not end, but he would have been better if it had. He has a severe TBI, and is half the person he was. So, when Rut starts the F6 goes to bed.

I just end my night time riding. Even with great LEDs top and bottom Dont want to risk it -as much as I love a night ride in the mountains.Course thye are out in the daylight but I tell myself I'll see them in time.
    Not sure how many miles this year. I have a few long days locally but no trips this year.
    I can only wish I'm still riding at 79. Good on you !
    Rode with my daughter this weekend and she mentioned (after she saw a three wheeler) I could get one.May change my mind but right now I think when my two wheel days are up,I'll just stop.Maybe buy a convertible :-)

Love my Corbin Smuggler rig.
    I have the Baker hand wings and a Beadrider (thanks Stroguy!) to keep air under "the boys" during warm weather and the seat is heated for colder jaunts.
    I ride until the gas tank needs filling and I need emptying, or I see something cool I want to check out.
    1000 mile days - no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Pumper View Post
    Watch for the damn deer, everyday I see a new carcass along side the road. Rut is horrible this year, we have a herd of Does every night in our field.
    I rode 14K plus this year it was a great riding year.
    My brother was taken off his bike by a deer running out of the ditch, his life did not end, but he would have been better if it had. He has a severe TBI, and is half the person he was. So, when Rut starts the F6 goes to bed.
    Same deal back east. At least one car-deer collision per day on my 37 mile drive to work on mostly rural county roads. Deer seem to be everywhere. Don't know how things have been in the upper midwest, but here in the interior northeast, we have had three mostly mild winters in a row. Not much of a weather-related die off. Populations will be interesting to see once people report their harvests to the NYSDEC on opening day of gun season in a few weeks.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Love my Corbin Smuggler rig.
    I have the Baker hand wings and a Beadrider (thanks Stroguy!) to keep air under "the boys" during warm weather and the seat is heated for colder jaunts.
    I ride until the gas tank needs filling and I need emptying, or I see something cool I want to check out.
    1000 mile days - no problem.
    1000 mile days - no way. 370 is the most I've ever done, and I would have chosen my couch over the last 50 of that. I don't seem to have the "endurass" for those long runs ... nor the desire! Of course, if you measure by seat time, I had a couple of 10 hour days in the saddle that only added up to ~350 miles due to the roads being two laners, stops, towns, etc.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

...more random musings

Everyone over age 45 should have a hot tub.
    Period.

Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by 53driver; 10-26-2018 at 08:38 AM.

Don't know how accurate this is. deer strike.jpg
    Last edited by 53driver; 10-26-2018 at 08:08 AM. Reason: fix quote

Here in mid Indiana my Grandson and I saw a buck chasing a doe last week while riding home from work (we both work at the same place and both ride). That's about the earliest rut related activity I've seen here. Our gun season doesn't come in till mid November, if the rut is way early it might make for a reduced harvest. Have been seeing lots of deer on my way home, not so many before dawn on the way to work though.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

I hear a lot of shooting in northern Ohio. I think squirrel season is in. Thats got the dear in hiding.
    But it won't be long. Its cold and rainy here so riding is out for me.
    Look at Montana, 1 in 57 chance, thats party high.
    ITS ALL GOOD

PA - count me in those stats, not on a bike fortunately, but totaled my Nissan mini-van at 0230 coming home from a gig...