Premium Octane? - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Premium Octane?

Placebo? Certainly possible. Bigger difference in the way a station handles fuel than in what kind of fuel is also certainly possible as well as water in the mix. High volume stations are what I look for also. I also do not fuel when a tanker truck is refueling the stations tank. That process has to be disrupting the sediment on the bottom of the tank and putting into the pumps. Dispelling the myth of more expensive high octane gas is better gas is a tough one to squash. The labeling has some to do with it I think, with the regular vers premium thing. Google or Bing octane and you can read a ton of stuff with almost everyone agreeing no benefit to hi-test if your engine does not need it.
    Last edited by 53driver; 10-24-2018 at 04:54 PM.

2wheelsforme has pretty well summed up my feelings as well. I use 87 octane almost exclusively. In areas with lower octane ratings (85 or 86) I use a mid range grade of fuel. I also will not use a station that is getting a fuel delivery because when they are dumping fuel it stirs up all the crap in the bottom of the tanks. I also avoid stations that do not seem to pump a high volume of fuel. I do quite a bit of riding in northern Arizona on the Navajo Reservation and I have gotten bad fuel there but for the most part the Hondas I have owned have all been pretty forgiving on the quality of fuel I put in them.

Good discussion
    Az wingrider

I believe if 87 octane works for your bike and makes you happy, why spend more money. If your goal is to get every bit of performance from your bike, you may benefit from higher octane. If the engine management is managing knock, it is adjusting timing advance. This will have an affect on acceleration. Not sure how many of us can measure the difference with the seat of our pants. But there will be some difference.

No, an engine designed to operate on 87 will not benefit from higher octane. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ion-premium-g/

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    No, an engine designed to operate on 87 will not benefit from higher octane. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...ion-premium-g/
    Thanks Mike. That is pretty much the consensus. 87 from now on.

Owners manual says 89 or higher so I run 92 all the time.

That is a very simple explanation of engine vs fuel design. That is why I said, if it works for you be happy. They left some details out. For most, the details will never matter.

In the 118,000 miles I have collectively put on my 2013 & 2015 F6B's I have saved $1242 by using 87 octane.
    I did quite a bit of dyno testing years ago and learned my lesson then. If your engine doesn't have enough compression and/or ignition advance to burn higher octane it will actually detract from the performance. Higher octane fuels are made to control detonation and will burn slower.

Quote Originally Posted by ckwizard View Post
    And the myth lives on! Wondering where you got that info about the manual saying "89 or higher"? My manual says 86! Someone earlier said something about aviation fuel and I think fuel for planes is still leaded and lead is a do not use warning for our bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by ckwizard View Post
    I have never seen any such octane instructions in any Honda F6B manuals..."Show me the money" so to speak....Regards and ride safe