Premium Octane?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Premium Octane?

Premium Octane?

Does it matter or is it worth it to use Premium?

Quote Originally Posted by Big TP View Post
    Does it matter or is it worth it to use Premium?
    My owner's manual says "86 or better."
    My experience is that I get better gas mileage with 87.
    I live nearer sea level and when I ride in the foothills/mountains (up to 4000' or so) I notice no difference.
    Those in Colorado may have different experiences WRT pinging and octane.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    Last edited by 53driver; 10-25-2018 at 10:07 AM.
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Depends on how the bike is running on what you have been using.
    I would say 89 at the least. I get a little drop in milage with 87 which is around 85 octane equivalent with ethanol mix.
    They don't use the same formula to get octane rating with ethanol blends.
    So if your using the blend your guess is good as mine.
    I avoid the "Blends" when ever possible. Only a few places left to get the good stuff any more.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I have run Octane boost in my Legacy Valk for years due to Ignition set to performance settings, I do occasionally put in Lucas octane boost into the B as well. I think it helps it at times. I think it is due to blended gas as well, sometimes the blend is on the low side. Not pushing it, but you might try and experiment with it in a few tanks to see what you think....
    You think blended gas is bad now? Wait till the "new" and improved blends come out in a few years!
    Last edited by Kokomo Kevin; 10-23-2018 at 12:50 PM.

I think my bike calls for 89 or above. I just started using 90. Might be a tad better on take off.

One of the main selling points for me on the Honda was that it runs well even on piss and vinegar.

I never use anything but 87, except in the pre-storage season (now), and I get a steady 42 mpg with no pinging.

Gas. Oil. Tires. Fuel stabilizer. Seats. Spouses. We each have different tastes, and become loyal to those that we have positive experiences with.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    One of the main selling points for me on the Honda was that it runs well even on piss and vinegar.

I never use anything but 87, except in the pre-storage season (now), and I get a steady 42 mpg with no pinging.

Gas. Oil. Tires. Fuel stabilizer. Seats. Spouses. We each have different tastes, and become loyal to those that we have positive experiences with.
    +1 on the use of regular! Why pi$$ money away on High Test when our motors are equipped with 3D Mapping, Oxygen and Crank Sensor and the likes. Honda did a remarkable job in designing the "Boxer Flat Six". Fuel requirements are clearly spelled out in the Owners Manual, as is oil change intervals which no one seems to follow. With 57K miles on my 13, its never seen a drop of High Test. I routinely use Sea Foam and the original OEM spark plugs are still in place with 40/42 MPG. Of course all of us has a "personal preference" which makes us feel "warm and fuzzy"! If High Octane gives you peace of mind, so be it!

Octane is a measurement of the gasolines resistance to knock or ping also known as pre-ignition. It is not better or higher quality fuel. If your engine does not knock or ping with 87 then you are wasting money running a more expensive higher octane fuel. Nor will using a high octane gas give your bike better mileage. That's because the rating refers to how much energy it takes to ignite the gas, (slower ignition equals less pre-ignition) not directly to how much energy the gas puts out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Octane is a measurement of the gasolines resistance to knock or ping also known as pre-ignition. It is not better or higher quality fuel. If your engine does not knock or ping with 87 then you are wasting money running a more expensive higher octane fuel. Nor will using a high octane gas give your bike better mileage. That's because the rating refers to how much energy it takes to ignite the gas, (slower ignition equals less pre-ignition) not directly to how much energy the gas puts out.

As I have said on many earlier posts regarding this issue...using higher octane fuels just cause one thinks there going to make some noticeable difference in mileage or performance, is just like "pissing money down at rat hole" !!!...No need at all unless you like to spend extra $$ on gas for your bike....Regards and ride safe

Just for Sh_its and giggles has anyone ever used aviation gas or racing gas in a B?