Premium Octane?

Thread: Premium Octane?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Octane is a measurement of the gasolines resistance to knock or ping also known as pre-ignition. It is not better or higher quality fuel. If your engine does not knock or ping with 87 then you are wasting money running a more expensive higher octane fuel. Nor will using a high octane gas give your bike better mileage. That's because the rating refers to how much energy it takes to ignite the gas, (slower ignition equals less pre-ignition) not directly to how much energy the gas puts out.

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Octane is a measurement of the gasolines resistance to knock or ping also known as pre-ignition. It is not better or higher quality fuel. If your engine does not knock or ping with 87 then you are wasting money running a more expensive higher octane fuel. Nor will using a high octane gas give your bike better mileage. That's because the rating refers to how much energy it takes to ignite the gas, (slower ignition equals less pre-ignition) not directly to how much energy the gas puts out.

As I have said on many earlier posts regarding this issue...using higher octane fuels just cause one thinks there going to make some noticeable difference in mileage or performance, is just like "pissing money down at rat hole" !!!...No need at all unless you like to spend extra $$ on gas for your bike....Regards and ride safe

Just for Sh_its and giggles has anyone ever used aviation gas or racing gas in a B?

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelsforme View Post
    Have to disagree here. I use mostly 87 and get the standard 40-42. We have a place here that still sells "91 ethanol free", when I use that I get 43-45 mpg. I believe it also runs a little smoother on take offs. During this years rally, when we were in CO, we were getting 50 on some runs, but drop some elevation and get into Kansas, the mpg's dropped into the 30's

Quote Originally Posted by ReserveBum View Post
    Have to disagree here. I use mostly 87 and get the standard 40-42. We have a place here that still sells "91 ethanol free", when I use that I get 43-45 mpg. I believe it also runs a little smoother on take offs. During this years rally, when we were in CO, we were getting 50 on some runs, but drop some elevation and get into Kansas, the mpg's dropped into the 30's
    Talking about octane, not ethanol vrs pure gas. I agree pure gas what we call here marine gas is better, and much more expensive. Two other things that affect the possibility of pre-ignition are timing advanced motors and high altitude. In other words it is the pure gas causing your better mileage not the octane. I also got better gas mileage while in high altitudes' this summer.
    Last edited by 2wheelsforme; 10-24-2018 at 07:30 AM.

I believe if 87 octane works for your bike and makes you happy, why spend more money. If your goal is to get every bit of performance from your bike, you may benefit from higher octane. If the engine management is managing knock, it is adjusting timing advance. This will have an affect on acceleration. Not sure how many of us can measure the difference with the seat of our pants. But there will be some difference.