Premium Octane? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Premium Octane?

And with visual aids!!!
    Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by BIGLRY View Post
    One thing I have not seen mention when talking about Octane numbers is the additives used by manufactures. You will find more additives in 97 Octane than in 87 Octane used for cleaning the engine's fuel system and help cut down bad emissions, but here is the rub. I have found engines that are designed to run on 87 Octane but are feed a steady diet of 97 Octane will have more deposits on the spark plugs over time due to the additives.

Is true there is technically more energy in 87 Octane than 97 Octane as the 97 is designed to burn slower in the higher compression engine. Even in the low compression engine say 9:1 if you put on a Turbo or a Supercharger you must run the higher octane if you are running boost and if you have a turbo Or Supercharger who don't twist up the wick once and a while?

All I'm saying is if you run high Octane fuel for feed for the steed then keep an eye on the spark plugs for crud build up and I'm talking about long time use.

I wondered about that. I know in the past, better detergent and additive content was a selling point for high octane fuels. But these days even base model pickups and CUVs run direct injected, turbocharged engines capable of using 87 octane fuel. I assumed the better additive packages had migrated down to the lower octane blends, but don't actually know. Have any manufactures standardized the additive packages across all grades?

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    Have any manufactures standardized the additive packages across all grades?
    I have a few friends who are retired chemist or are still working in the petroleum industry, I have asked that same question of them and I have always got a positive NO! The higher Octane fuels get more additive. Other than Chevron which runs close to the same additive package in all their fuels grades I don't know of any, but that not to say some manufactures I'm not familiar with do.
    Here is some trivia for ya.
    "Chemical additives first entered the industry in the first decade of the century. These additives served a number of uses. For example, they lessened the capacity of gasoline to vaporize out of the gas tank or to polymerize (i.e., produce gummy residues) in the engine. In the early 1920s, the most important application for these substances was to eliminate knocking. Tetraethylead (TEL) was the first major gasoline additive to be commercialized for this purpose."

A nice read on Gasoline and Additives.
    https://www.encyclopedia.com/environ...-and-additives

The guy who invented the first wheel was an idiot -
    the guy who invented the second one... he was the genius!

http://theringfinders.com/blog/Larry.Royal/