Careful, it's deer thirty out there
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Careful, it's deer thirty out there

Careful, it's deer thirty out there

I'm a big fan of the whitetail deer. For over 30 years I winter tent camped and hunted them here in Indiana. Many years I camped and hunted with one or more of my sons every weekend from October 1'st till muzzleloader season ended in December. When the kids were young and I had four young to feed I never let a legal deer walk by me without putting it in the freezer. As the kids got older and started helping fill the freezer I was able to sit back in my tree and let most of them walk by. If I was only going to take one, I wanted to take it on the last hour of the last day so I could spend more time in the woods. I was never a trophy hunter although after the boys started filling the freezer I never intentionally shot a small buck and was content to just take a doe or two if a mature buck didn't happen by.

As the 61 year old owner of a bad back, this will be my first year of not camping and hunting and it's a milestone I'm not happy about. (I'll still do some close to home deer hunting)

However, after putting well over 50 in the freezer over the years I am acutely aware of them. While riding home behind my oldest Grandson last week (he also rides and we work together) we saw a buck chasing a doe which is the earliest sign of the rut I can remember. Imagine how crazed we would be if we had to wait 10 months to chase the ol lady? That's how crazed the deer will be now that it's their season for romance and recreation. So let's be careful out there. Here in mid Indiana there are a lot of them (not as many as 10 years ago though) so keep your eyes open, in particular around dawn and dusk, otherwise known as "deer thirty".

I've combined deer hunting and motorcycles many times over the years. As in riding my Valk down the miles of gravel roads to our deer camp if my gear was already there. Once I even wrapped a bucks head in a trash bag with the antlers poking out, lashed it to the passenger seat and took it to a taxidermist who lived at the end of a rutted, steep half mile trek up a long gravel and dirt hill. I hadn't been to him before, when I pulled up there were chickens pecking at animal carcases along the drive, five or six dogs and several guys caping deer outside. They seemed disturbed to see a leather clad motorcyclist appear in the drive and stopped what they were doing to find out who I was. All was good when I climbed off the bike and they saw the antlers behind me.

I'll keep riding to work as long as the temps are above 32 and its dry. Dew freezes on the road when the road temps drop to 32 and black ice is damn disconcerting at the best, at the worst it kills you. I have an infrared heat gun and I'll sometimes walk to the road before dawn to check the pavement temps and decide if I'm riding or driving that morning.

In the last ten years the wife has hit two deer in the civic and one in the outback, all within a mile of our house. I've had two run into the side of my pickups and some very close calls on motorcycles, the closest ever was this spring on the F6B.

I was meeting a school bus on a rural road, the deer flashed across in front of bus and then in front of me. I was on the brakes hard but knew I couldn't avoid it. I was still running probably 40 mph & my tires were near lockup when it disappeared under my fairing and I braced for impact.

I heard the bus driver exclaim something through his open window. Then it appeared out the right side of my fairing without me feeling an impact. Checked the bike at work when the sun came up. No scuffs, no hair, clean miss. I was praying I wasn't going to get killed in front of a bunch of school kids and I didn't.

Never missed a days riding over it though. For me, life is just too short to sit in a cage if I can avoid it.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Drove down to Indy and back today US 31 is littered with them on both sides. Farmers are know out late and are also pushing them out of the corn and beans. If you are riding need to be extra vigilante now.

Don't know how to watch out for the dumb deer. On the roads around Chagrin, the deer look both ways before crossing however, I drove to Columbus O. which is approx. 150 miles and counted 18 dumb dead ones on the side of the road!

Think I am going to change over to a 4 wheel and put the two wheeler up for a while! I already had a deer just miss me coming back from NY a month ago. It ran across the highway and just missed my ass end! If I had been going a half mile slower, I would be the one on the side of the road!

I put the tridium LED lights in my lower cowl just because of deer. I keep the one on the right pointed out into the fields somewhat to help light up their eyes in the dark.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

I also have LED in my lower cowl as well. My theory is if I drive a little slower and can see them sooner, then I have a better chance of stopping first. Reminds me of the time I was riding with a group going South out of Jackson Hole Wyoming Had a huge Doe Elk run across the rode in front of me, seconds later I just missed what was chasing her, would estimate a 1500 BULL chasing her! Was damn close. Experience still gives me the chills....

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    I put the tridium LED lights in my lower cowl just because of deer. I keep the one on the right pointed out into the fields somewhat to help light up their eyes in the dark.
    The dear wait till your lights, light up the road, then they cross.
    ITS ALL GOOD

I hear ya, went on a long ride last Saturday, another biker had a light issue that held us up a bit, ended up coming home on a two hour run in pitch darkness in North Idaho, my shoulders were tensed up when we made it home. Deer splatter all over the road, many hanging on the shoulder, it was a pucker run. Got home and we hit the saloon for some doubles.

Was behind an 18 wheeler today and he hit one going 60mph and it just exploded and covered my windshield
    with all kinds of what I will call STUFF!
    They are all over the sides of Interstate 70 here in MD and local roads.

I have friends who are veteran hunters and I am on the phone with them every other day starting late September to see if they are witnessing signs of the rut. When the bucks start scraping the trees, it's on.

At that point, no more commuting to work on the bike. The Forester goes on full-time duty. I still do day rides on weekends, or if I go into work late and its a nice day, I will ride...otherwise, I am done.

I've only had one close call with a deer. Last summer, middle of the day, not totally paying attention on a rural county road...there was a doe with two young fawns right in front of me. Slammed on the brakes, got some chirping from the tires and the big girl got a little squirrely on me before I moderated the brakes. Missed mom by a few feet.
    Last edited by VStarRider; 10-27-2018 at 08:20 AM.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

A couple years back I missed going down because of a deer due to inattention. I'd looked to my left at a new building and when I looked back a doe was just passing in front of me. If I'd seen her in time I'm sure I'd have gone down trying to miss her. Just dumb luck.