What if..... - Page 7
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: What if.....

What if.......organized religion was a scam and Churches and charities were taxed?
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    What if.......organized religion was a scam and Churches and charities were taxed?
    Karl Marx: "Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people."
    Often just paraphrased as "Religion is the opiate of the masses."

He never saw what "television" has done...

What if...
    ...the US imposed complete and total flat tax rates - if you get 'income' then you pay: 10% Fed, 5% state?

One page tax code.
    Doesn't matter if you are a business, church, charity, whatever.

Think of all the money the we could save by shutting down most of the IRS!!!

The big question is, can the charities servieve when there is no tax deduction for people, business to write off. The church’s may do all right. How about the colleges, schools soup kitchens that depend on people and business that donate large and small sums of money for research or for building infrastructure at the schools. What would be the consequences of people that fund scholarships. A flat tax is a nice sound bite, but one has to consider the larger picture of how and what deductions are tied to. With a flat tax would the now non profits be required to pay a flat tax on donations and grants? Much more complicated than what we can fix hear.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcerer View Post
    The big question is, can the charities servieve when there is no tax deduction for people, business to write off. The church’s may do all right. How about the colleges, schools soup kitchens that depend on people and business that donate large and small sums of money for research or for building infrastructure at the schools. What would be the consequences of people that fund scholarships. A flat tax is a nice sound bite, but one has to consider the larger picture of how and what deductions are tied to. With a flat tax would the now non profits be required to pay a flat tax on donations and grants? Much more complicated than what we can fix here.
    Oh, I can "FIX" a lot of stuff - it's just that no one wants to play along!

I think we'd be surprised at how much "overhead" and excessive jobs actually exist in "many" of those institutions you mention.
    We can start with the Clinton Foundation......

Now, I'm all about people giving back to the community and if they choose to truly donate their money - they should not be benefitting other than the endorphins for the mental moral goodness they have done.
    We have too many colleges as it is - that herd needs thinning anyway.
    Public schools & soup kitchens are generally gov't funded - minimal impact there. And of course, if someone or some business wants to be TRULY altruistic, that's their prerogative.

"True generosity" and "tax deductions" should be morally (AND legally) exclusive of each other. My $0.02

What if a vendor sold an electric saddlebag opening kit that had a push button on the dash that only worked if the key was in the ignition.
    Like our cars have had for years????

Quote Originally Posted by billsim View Post
    What if a vendor sold an electric saddlebag opening kit that had a push button on the dash that only worked if the key was in the ignition.
    Like our cars have had for years????
    The remote system that is sold could be wired that way.
    That having been said....I like how I have the pushbutton on my fob, and I can open my bags without having my key in the ignition, as in, I'm just dropping something off or picking something up, but have no intention of firing up the bike.
    Cheers,
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    The remote system that is sold could be wired that way.
    That having been said....I like how I have the pushbutton on my fob, and I can open my bags without having my key in the ignition, as in, I'm just dropping something off or picking something up, but have no intention of firing up the bike.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    I already have a fob that opens the garage door. Wish I could use one fob for all!

What if...
    ...all the Federal spending is now in the hands of the Democrats?

Will they appease the Fed Reserve by cutting spending?
    Or will the US dollar be terminated as the currency of OPEC/petrol, and devalue quickly into hyperinflation when the Chinese decide to 'cash-out'?

These and more questions promise to keep me awake at night.....doesn't really matter who is in charge of the spending.

What if I swore off even looking at politics ???