Harley Woes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Harley Woes

Harley Woes

I posted this on the Valkyrie (VRCC) site and started an interesting conversation so I'll post it here, too. I was having my truck serviced last week and walked to a nearby Honda dealer while I waited. I talked to a salesman I've known for a long time and asked him about the row of about a dozen used Harley Davidsons on the floor. He said they had an agreement with a finance company to take their repossessed Harleys. Apparently, the H-D dealers don't want them as they are having too much trouble selling new motorcycles.

How things have changed! Just 15 or so years ago you could buy a new Harley, ride it for a year, then sell it for a profit. Today some dealers won't even take a trade.

But Harley isn't alone. The same salesman said they used to sell a few dozen small Hondas right before Christmas, but these days they're lucky to sell 2 or 3. And a salesman at another Honda dealer told me of a Saturday in the 1980s when they delivered 11 new Goldwings. They would have delivered an even dozen but one owner couldn't get to the dealership before closing time.

I'm amazed we still have such a large selection of excellent motorcycles to choose from. But I get this feeling that in a decade or so the motorcycle marketplace won't be so broad, and we'll look back at this time as the 'good old days'.

I feel the Motorcycle industry like any other business that has cycles where business is good and time it is not so good. The 90"s saw some pretty slow sales also.
    I've spent most my money on Motorcycles and Women, the rest I just wasted.

People that are my age when I first threw leg over a motorcycle would rather ride an electric scooter, that's why all these companies are springing up everywhere...(Bird, Lime).

Quote Originally Posted by Cali261 View Post
    People that are my age when I first threw leg over a motorcycle would rather ride an electric scooter, that's why all these companies are springing up everywhere...(Bird, Lime).
    Right on my friend!!..These damn things are "popping up" like rabbits all over Detroit and surrounding areas......Times are a changing as my Grandfather used to say.....Regards

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    I posted this on the Valkyrie (VRCC) site and started an interesting conversation so I'll post it here, too. I was having my truck serviced last week and walked to a nearby Honda dealer while I waited. I talked to a salesman I've known for a long time and asked him about the row of about a dozen used Harley Davidsons on the floor. He said they had an agreement with a finance company to take their repossessed Harleys. Apparently, the H-D dealers don't want them as they are having too much trouble selling new motorcycles.

How things have changed! Just 15 or so years ago you could buy a new Harley, ride it for a year, then sell it for a profit. Today some dealers won't even take a trade.

But Harley isn't alone. The same salesman said they used to sell a few dozen small Hondas right before Christmas, but these days they're lucky to sell 2 or 3. And a salesman at another Honda dealer told me of a Saturday in the 1980s when they delivered 11 new Goldwings. They would have delivered an even dozen but one owner couldn't get to the dealership before closing time.

I'm amazed we still have such a large selection of excellent motorcycles to choose from. But I get this feeling that in a decade or so the motorcycle marketplace won't be so broad, and we'll look back at this time as the 'good old days'.
    Age and disposable income drive the industry.

Most every major city is experiencing housing affordability, so for many young families there's not a lot of money left over to throw at a motorcycle. Many [calm down, not all] current cruiser clientele are old geezers that couldn't swing a leg over a garden hose so what they own now will likely be their last big bike...
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Quote Originally Posted by unsub View Post
    Age and disposable income drive the industry.

Most every major city is experiencing housing affordability, so for many young families there's not a lot of money left over to throw at a motorcycle. Many [calm down, not all] current cruiser clientele are old geezers that couldn't swing a leg over a garden hose so what they own now will likely be their last big bike...
    Oh, swing their leg OVER a garden hose....
    I was thinking I couldn't swing my leg with my 'garden hose'.......

Quote Originally Posted by DMAGOLDRDR View Post
    I feel the Motorcycle industry like any other business that has cycles where business is good and time it is not so good. The 90"s saw some pretty slow sales also.
    I remember that. I recall reading that motorcycle sales peaked around 1990 or 1991, then dropped for several years. I think the explanation was that baby boomers were having families, and motorcycles had to make way for minivans. It bounced back as the kids grew up and the families had disposable income. That fueled a later boom in Beemers, Goldwings, and Harleys for older guys with more to spend.

This time around I fear the drop in sales is due to aging riders, and there may not be a rebound. Except maybe for trikes!

The introduction of the cell phone has upped the risk management of riding and could be another detractor to cycle riding.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!

Might be missing something here.....
    It's the parents, they are not parenting...
    Way back when...... my father taught me how to:
    Change a car tire, auto maintenance and repair
    Cut the lawn, Shovel the Snow, rake the leaves......
    Go camping, pitch a tent, start a fire with sticks......
    Firearm safety, Archery, Hunt Deer on Opening Day, gut a deer, and process the meat...
    Clean the gutters, paint the garage.....
    Play baseball, play football, play hockey....
    Ride a motorcycle...

Parents today are are simply not parenting.
    If parents only did their job, our country would still be Great, and no need to "Make America Great Again."
    ....and we'd have kids who would actually want to ride instead of playing video games or deciding what restroom to use...

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    Oh, swing their leg OVER a garden hose....
    I was thinking I couldn't swing my leg with my 'garden hose'.......
    Forest Service Fire Management could've used your talents last summer!
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!