2017-18 Harley Touring recall
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2017-18 Harley Touring recall

2017-18 Harley Touring recall

All recalled due to clutch locking up @ higher speed.
    Equitare solum equitare amplius

Oops.

So their new clutch doesn't slip anymore ?

180,000 bikes. People laugh when I say I have no desire to own HD.
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

Hmmm production line issues? Build quality issues? Makes me wonder if the boys on the line are not happy about the current state of HD finances and plans to go off-shore for some of their production... Nawww... that's a stretch...

Quote Originally Posted by ths61 View Post
    So their new clutch doesn't slip anymore ?
    Nor any less

The best is my buddy in PA who has one called the local Harley dealer where he bought it and still has a loan on it and said he's wants to bring it in for the recall do they have the parts. They said yes but the parts they have they're going to use on the bikes they want to sell so if he makes an appointment they'll order parts for him. They also told him not to ride the bike until it's fixed. So now he's paying for a bike he can't ride and they won't use parts they have.

Quote Originally Posted by taxfree4 View Post
    The best is my buddy in PA who has one called the local Harley dealer where he bought it and still has a loan on it and said he's wants to bring it in for the recall do they have the parts. They said yes but the parts they have they're going to use on the bikes they want to sell so if he makes an appointment they'll order parts for him. They also told him not to ride the bike until it's fixed. So now he's paying for a bike he can't ride and they won't use parts they have.
    Thats a load of BS...I would go to that shop and give them a brain! Customer service these days is ridiculous.

As I remember the same thing happened on the last GL1800 break recall. Dealers got product first for the new then used bikes in stock. Some dealers would use some of there recall product for there “good” customers. Honda and National Transportation Administration put a stop sales order on new bikes until the recall was preformed. From a lawyers prospective it was all they could do. I waited until spring to have my recall done. I was told once I set up a date to have the recall done they could order the recall kit.

Yep, secondary actuator diaphragm gets replaced. It can get air in the line and then you have no clutch. Harley better hurry up and come out with a quick-shifter like BMW, Aprilia, KTM or if that line gets air in it, you better start down shifting asap to get to neutral when that Kenworth pulls out in front of you.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/201...8V734-4111.PDF

What's interesting is that they made a production change for this part for the 2019 models which were announced in August at the dealer show so they must have known about the problem long before the 2019's went on sale. My guess is that a few H-D bikers got smashed into a light pole or flattened by Burlington Northern at a crossing with no clutch and BAM!..........here comes the recall after some out-of-court settlements.
    Last edited by Walcrow; 11-02-2018 at 08:22 AM.