2017-18 Harley Touring recall - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2017-18 Harley Touring recall

After reading the recall notice this doesn't sound like the kind of problem that would cause an accident. You'd just lose the ability to disengage the clutch, which happened to me more than once on older bikes with broken clutch cables. If I owned one, I'd probably keep riding it until the parts were available. But I'd sure keep an eye on the clutch fluid level.

I waited several months to have the recall done on my 2013 F6B. It wasn't a simple fix, so I wanted dealers to get some practice on the procedure. The brake problem showed up on only a small number of the 140,000 or so of recalled GL1800s, and nearly all of them were older bikes that sat around a lot. To my knowledge not a single F6B actually had their brakes lock up.

You're probably correct on that. The Harley's with ABS are a bitch if you bleed the brakes and get air in that line somewhere. You HAVE to go back to the dealer to get the air out of the line due to their ABS system. My guess on the clutch issue is the same old issue of keeping the brake or clutch reservoir with enough fluid when bleeding and not let any air get in the line. If the diaphragm is leaking down by the trans, then the reservoir gets low to the point that air gets in the line and then no clutch action.

Quote Originally Posted by F6Dave View Post
    After reading the recall notice this doesn't sound like the kind of problem that would cause an accident. You'd just lose the ability to disengage the clutch, which happened to me more than once on older bikes with broken clutch cables. If I owned one, I'd probably keep riding it until the parts were available. But I'd sure keep an eye on the clutch fluid level.

I waited several months to have the recall done on my 2013 F6B. It wasn't a simple fix, so I wanted dealers to get some practice on the procedure. The brake problem showed up on only a small number of the 140,000 or so of recalled GL1800s, and nearly all of them were older bikes that sat around a lot. To my knowledge not a single F6B actually had their brakes lock up.
    I know one of our members had it happen on his F6B...
    He did write about it somewhere in these pages.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    My girls:
    Isleen - 2014 F6BD
    Saorla - 1995 FLSTN Heritage Special

"Politeness, n: The most acceptable hypocrisy."
    Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    I know one of our members had it happen on his F6B...
    He did write about it somewhere in these pages.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    That would be me Steve.On my 13 I was coming down a 7% grade into Reno when the bike started to slow down on it's own and the wham the rear brake locked up.Everything happened so fast to this day I don't know how I kept the bike up and thank god there was a place to skid off the road.Bike went in the shop and brake recall was done along with a new rear rotor as it got cheery red after lockup.Bike was just over a year old at the time and it had the brakes bleed two months before.Have not had any problems since the recall was done.