ICONIC new section to the foothills parkway now open
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ICONIC new section to the foothills parkway now open

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina

ICONIC new section to the foothills parkway now open

This last weekend the new "Missing Link" section of the Foothills Parkway opened. Its roughly a 17 mile stretch that begins where the Foothills parkway ended near Townsend TN and goes all the way to Wears Valley or essentially Pigeon Forge TN. I Traveled it the day it opened. Although there were like 13 million people there it was Absolutely Awesome. Truly the best views that I have seen in that part of the country. The views are better then or equal the best views from the BRP. The pavement is pristine and the layout of the pull offs for picture taking and viewing the mountains are well thought out. If you have traveled across the Linville Viaduct on the BRP this road has the same thing only better and longer. One section has like 8 or 9 bridges. I was impressed and loved the new road. Now to just travel it with very few people on it. A great new addition to that area. When the foothills parkway is complete it will connect with I 40.
    So now if you were to stay in the area and leave early in the morning you could travel the Cherohala Skyway, stopping at Bald River Falls and then continuing on to Telico Plains for gas and snack then back to pick up 360 to 411 to 72 to the bottom of the foothills parkway and the Dragon. You could ride up to Pigeon Forge on the foothills parkway for lunch then ride halfway back to Townsend TN on the foothills parkway. Turn left and go to Cades Cover or to Clingmans Dome and then back to the foothills parkway and take it to the bottom of the Dragon. Turn left, do the dragon and then down to Tapoco Lodge for dinner and then back to Robbinsville or wherever you stayed. If staying in Robbinsville. This is a long day of riding and could easily be divided up into 2 days of riding. But absolutely some of the best roads in North America. Especially on the east coast.
    The new "Missing Link" section of the Foothills parkway truly is ICONIC and is a fantastic new addition to the already great rides in that area.
    Google "Missing Link Foothills Parkway" There is a small video to watch.
    20181110_133433.jpg20181110_133953.jpg20181110_133514.jpg20181110_133953.jpg20181110_134437(0).jpg20181110_134203.jpg

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina

Beautiful. Thanks for posting!
    2016 F6B Deluxe
    Jupiter Orange Metallic

Have to add that to the Butler Map!
    Thanks!

Sweet thanks for posting. I now might have to venture back that way to check it out. I remember sitting on my bike at the end of the foot hills parkway this summer wishing that was open!

Hey, you got some good leaf color. I was down there, past Bald River Falls...great ride on River Road and did the Dragon four times before point back north. When I did it everything was green but still good riding. I did Bear Tooth Pass a few weeks before and wanted to make a comparison between the two. Glad I did!

I rode the Foothills Parkway less than 4 weeks ago - that section wasn't open yet. I'll have to go back I guess

Thanks we were down there a few weeks ago not a bad road anywhere.
    Can't wait to get back.

Made my gloomy day in Ohio.

Thanks
    ITS ALL GOOD

Quote Originally Posted by oldxtreme View Post
    Hey, you got some good leaf color. I was down there, past Bald River Falls...great ride on River Road and did the Dragon four times before point back north. When I did it everything was green but still good riding. I did Bear Tooth Pass a few weeks before and wanted to make a comparison between the two. Glad I did!
    Hey oldxtreme . . . interested to hear your thoughts after comparing the two routes. I've done Beartooth Pass (and nearby Chief Joseph) several times in both directions but have not yet had the time or opportunity to travel on the B as far east as Tennessee. While I'm sure both are amazing roads for their own set of reasons, how would you personally compare them from a pure riding perspective? One road 'funner' or more 'challenging' than the other? Just curious until I have the good fortune to ride east and discover for myself!
    Last edited by Brasco; 11-13-2018 at 11:33 PM.