Opinions on cowl lights....
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions on cowl lights....

Opinions on cowl lights....

Hey fellas, doing some winter upgrades on the B and have my new windshield coming in tomorrow, at the same time I am installing the relay for LED turn indicators. My question is this, for the next gadget, I am looking to install some cowl lights. I don't care about turn indicators down there since I will be adding the sequential indicators in the pumpkins as well this off season, but what are your opinions on the cowl lights that throw the best spread of light? Basic LED? Tridium? Looking for the best broadcast, I ride in deer infested areas and want to light it up if I have to ride at night. Thanks in advance for the suggestions.

Electric Connections fog lights are good. Simple cut out and wire connect. Lighting is decent.

Check Wingstuff.com. I think mine are made by Show Chrome, fog & turn, I really like them. I have mine set up to modulate.

If you are wanting to light up the road to see deer at night I think you will find the cowl lights are mounted to low to provide the illumination you are seeking. I bought a set of Clearwater Darla LEDs and mounted them under the mirrors. I chose Clearwater lights because they are the only LEDs that i have found that come with a rheostat that enables you to adjust the brightness. When on the full bright setting they throw light way down the road.

Good luck in your search. By the way I have Kuryakin Led cowl lights which I leave on all the time because they make me more visible to the cagers.

Az Wingrider

Thanks Wingrider, I thought about the low angle but have Baker wings under the mirrors. Will take a peek at the Kury LEDs I have seen them before, just looking for the most light without thinking I need blinkers in there.

I have the Tridium multifunction type which incorporate turn signals. I bought them primary to make the deer eyes show up at night, being seen by cages was a secondary consideration.

I ride to work before dawn in deer country. The wife has had 3 predawn deer collisions within 2 miles of home in the last 5 years. I've been hit by deer twice in my truck within 5 miles of home and I've had many near misses on motorcycles.

I had 50 watt spots on my Valk, I kept the Right hand spot pointed out slightly towards the fields and it worked great to make their eyes showup before they were in the road. I've tried the same aiming strategy with the Tridium lights I have on the B but they are not as adjustable as the much cheaper spots on the Valk were. The Tridiums do throw out a good light. I use them as running lights in the daytime and turn them on full bright at night. They do light up the side of the road, but not as well as I hoped they would. For people who are primary worried about being seen by cagers they would be top notch. For high speed, nighttime deer country riding they could be better.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    I have the Tridium multifunction type which incorporate turn signals. I bought them primary to make the deer eyes show up at night, being seen by cages was a secondary consideration.

I ride to work before dawn in deer country. The wife has had 3 predawn deer collisions within 2 miles of home in the last 5 years. I've been hit by deer twice in my truck within 5 miles of home and I've had many near misses on motorcycles.

I had 50 watt spots on my Valk, I kept the Right hand spot pointed out slightly towards the fields and it worked great to make their eyes showup before they were in the road. I've tried the same aiming strategy with the Tridium lights I have on the B but they are not as adjustable as the much cheaper spots on the Valk were. The Tridiums do throw out a good light. I use them as running lights in the daytime and turn them on full bright at night. They do light up the side of the road, but not as well as I hoped they would. For people who are primary worried about being seen by cagers they would be top notch. For high speed, nighttime deer country riding they could be better.
    I 100% agree. I expected my Tridiums to provide more light than they do. As others have said, they are mounted too low for long distance illumination. They light up the spot right under the bike and forward about 10-15 feet before merging with the illuminated area of the road from the headlamps.

I do leave my fogs on 100% of the time to increase my visibility. I had my wife drive in front of me and she said it was very bright (the lights, not me). I have seen a few cagers creep out and then stop. No idea if this was a direct result of the increased visibility of the Tridiums.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Caught up with and passed my son on a rural two lane highway on the way to our Thanksgiving get together. He said he could see me in his mirrors miles before I caught up due to the twin headlights and cowl lights on the B. It was daytime.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Good to know guys.

What was supposed to be a winter project last year on the B was postponed because I flip-flopped on the lighting I was going to buy for the cowl. Here I am ready to pull the trigger on the Tridiums but based on this feedback I find myself re thinking this decision as well.

I want to see and be seen with a light kit in the cowl.

For purely esthetic reasons I don't want spots hanging off the frame or under the signals. Based on what Vstar wrote about the low position factor I may have to compromise on the amount of light thrown by any cowl mounted kit.
    Bummer.
    Floats Like a Butterfly, Stings Like a "B"
    What does the B stand for? B-Courteous. B-Safe. B-Seen.....B-CNU on the road!

Has anyone tried the round light from Honda line