Fire Sale on New Goldwings?
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire Sale on New Goldwings?

Fire Sale on New Goldwings?

Not quite, but I've suspected for a while that the 2018 Wings aren't selling very well. I saw a handful on the ride to our rally in Cortez, but other than that I've hardly seen any. In fact, I see more F6Bs and old Valkyries than new Wings.

This morning I got an email that confirms my suspicions. Honda Direct Line, an online dealer I've often ordered parts from, is selling 2018 Tour models with DCT at a 4K discount, for $23,700. The non-Tour model (they call it a Bagger) with the 6 speed sells for $19,999. Those are pretty steep discounts for a bike that was introduced less than a year ago.

If I were in the market those prices would sure be attractive. But like others here, I think Honda made a few mistakes on their new Wing. The biggest blunder IMO was shrinking the luggage to sport-touring capacities. They also could have bumped up the power a bit, to be more competitive with the K1600. It's a great bike, but I suspect those issues are making many riders shop elsewhere.

But no manufacturer seems to have figured out the demographic problem and attract younger riders. Who needs a motorcycle when you have a phone and the Uber app?

I saw a post from Cruiserman on another forum, he was talking how bad it is removing the plastic on them. and tabs break off very easy. Said it takes twice as long to replace an air filter. I have never like the looks of them and the down size is not what I think a Goldwing is all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    I saw a post from Cruiserman on another forum, he was talking how bad it is removing the plastic on them. and tabs break off very easy. Said it takes twice as long to replace an air filter. I have never like the looks of them and the down size is not what I think a Goldwing is all about.
    At my ripe old age of almost 79, I am not in the market for a new GW of any kind...The 2018's are a big disappointment to many including me...Way to much money, still have seat that is to high, look funny from the front like a Japanese space ship of sorts, and no way are they going to get anymore of my money.....If I buy another bike it will most likely be an Indian Scout....Regards

The 2018 is in a new class called, the "Short Tourer"

Live in Georgetown South Carolina, But work in Columbia South Carolina
    I sold my first F6B in order to buy a new Goldwing. But I had not ridden the new Goldwing before I sold the first F6B. When I did ride the new Goldwing, I was not that impressed. Yes, I liked it per say, but not for 21 or 22k. So I bought another F6B. A 2016 with 2900 miles for 13k. I am happy with my decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider View Post
    I realize plastic saves both weight and money, so more and more is being used in all kinds of vehicles. The Ford 2.7 twin turbo (Ecoboost) actually has a plastic oil pan and drain plug! But I'm disappointed to hear that Honda made the tabs that flimsy on the new Wing. And you'd think they would have tried to make the air cleaner easier to change.

One of the many things I love about the F6B is how simple most maintenance is. Tire changes aren't bad, and oil changes are a breeze. After those two things there isn't much else you need to do in the first 30 or 40,000 miles. Except ride, that is.

They are getting cheaper, and they are not selling. I have YET to see one on the road. As you said, price, luggage space and what I have not seen mentioned is the fact you have to run premium gas. Call me a cheapskate but thats about $3 a tank on a B. One of the reasons I bought the B.

Seen plenty of the new Wings on the road. Not impressed enough to even take a demo ride. I do like some of the new colors, haha. Smaller luggage doesn't bother me. The majority of all bikers, pack way too much stuff, when they go on trips. I mean, if your gonna ride for two weeks, then what is 2 hours at a laundro mat? But, like any new model, the manufacturers have some issues to work out.

It is my understand that 86 is all that is required for the new wing.

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Seen plenty of the new Wings on the road. Not impressed enough to even take a demo ride. I do like some of the new colors, haha. Smaller luggage doesn't bother me. The majority of all bikers, pack way too much stuff, when they go on trips. I mean, if your gonna ride for two weeks, then what is 2 hours at a laundro mat? But, like any new model, the manufacturers have some issues to work out.
    Exactly how many new Wings is plenty???...One of my sons lives in California,my son-in-law in Oklahoma, both riders, and together they have seen 1 new Wing in the last year.....Just curious...Regards