Fire Sale on New Goldwings? - Page 4
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fire Sale on New Goldwings?

Quote Originally Posted by 53driver View Post
    The DCT in "Sport" mode was quite the hoot - the other modes, not so much.
    0-90 was freaking quick in Sport Mode.
    Handling was very intuitive with a bit more ground clearance than the B.

But I am in concurrence with most of what's printed here:
    - Bags could EASILY be as large as they used to be and still retain the "cosmic stealth" look
    - "New engine" - it could be that the good ol' 1822 was so close to perfect that adding 1 cc was the only way to improve it. Besides the aesthetics (which I'm not fond of) I hope that someone figures out a way to unleash this engine so that it could hang with the K1600.
    - Less fuel: NEVER a good idea. Period.
    - Gizmos & infotainment: if I want to look at a screen, I'll stop and get out my iPad. If I want to figure out a new "game controller", I'll do so with an Xbox.
    I'm a pilot, I live for flight & performance data. Focusing & emphasizing on other things detracts from my Disney Experience.
    Cheers,
    Steve
    The biggest issue for me on the "new" GW's is all the whistles and bells that are mostly useless to my style of riding...I don't give a "rats ass" about GPS, Bluetooth, Greentooth, headphones, and all the other crap on these 2018 models...Fine for some, but not for me...I want to enjoy the ride and scenery not a bunch of electronic stuff that costs too much and distracts the rider.....Otherwise the next gen bikes are really okay and I am sure they will find riders to buy them, eventually.....Regards

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    It would have tempted me, if the power had been increased substantially. Or if the styling had remained more "Bagger", less "BMW". Or if the maintenance schedule hadn't been increased. Or if the pillion seat had remained super comfy - as opposed to being less so, for the sake of esthetics. Or, lastly, if it was priced better. As it is, I have a very special "1 model year only" bike (black/chrome exhaust) and also the luxury of almost 20 years of production and parts/accessory development. Can't beat that...
    I have that too. Did not realize that was a one year only model! Another reason to just keep on truckin' with mine. That, and the accessories I have added have basically made it a bike just for me!
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

I haven't ridden the 2018s. I wouldn't buy a full size bike with a 112 mph top speed unless there was an affordable fix to remove the training wheels so there isn't any reason for me to test drive one. I waited years to buy my f6b hoping Honda would finally hot rod that 1800 motor like they did the 1520s they put in the Valks. When they brought out the 2018s with the reduced top speed and same HP it was obvious they were going further away from building a bike I was interested in so I started looking for a dealer new 2016.

When I found the best price I could on a new 2016 I bought it without even test riding it and rode it home from the dealer this past January. I consider my B to be a touring oriented sport touring bike and that's how i ride it. Same with the Valk it replaced. No matter how fast the new ones get to 112 mph I still couldn't live with a bike a sportster could outrun on top end. I don't blame anyone who could, motorcycles are as individual as it gets but that built in governor on the 18s is a show stopper for me.

I'm damn disappointed the Bs don't make 25 more HP than they do. No doubt Honda could have done so and probably would have done so if Joe Boyd was still alive and designing GLs for the American public, but he's not, sadly. So the 2016s appeared to be the best effort Honda was going to make. If I rode solo all the time I would have bought a new FJR or perhaps a Rocket, but the B seemed to offer the best mix of two-up all day comfort, cornering ability, power and dependability out there.

I literally waited over a decade with money in my pocket for Honda to make a 130-170 rear wheel HP, naked, no-governor, 6 speed two-up touring Valk that would pass everything except a gas pump and still be good for 900 mile days, 20 years and 300,000 miles. Sadly, today's Honda, like HD seems more interested in appearing fast than being fast. Of course I considered the Beamers but I needed a bike that would last the rest of my life, had local dealer support and wouldn't break down. That dropped the Beamer out of the running and made the Rocket seem a bit sketchy too.

Concerning sales of the 2018s.
    If Honda removed the speed governor, bumped up the HP and made all the power available in any gear, at any speed and started a "No Limits" advertising campaign I think they'd sell better than any GL ever built.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    I haven't ridden the 2018s. I wouldn't buy a full size bike with a 112 mph top speed unless there was an affordable fix to remove the training wheels so there isn't any reason for me to test drive one. I waited years to buy my f6b hoping Honda would finally hot rod that 1800 motor like they did the 1520s they put in the Valks. When they brought out the 2018s with the reduced top speed and same HP it was obvious they were going further away from building a bike I was interested in so I started looking for a dealer new 2016.

When I found the best price I could on a new 2016 I bought it without even test riding it and rode it home from the dealer this past January. I consider my B to be a touring oriented sport touring bike and that's how i ride it. Same with the Valk it replaced. No matter how fast the new ones get to 112 mph I still couldn't live with a bike a sportster could outrun on top end. I don't blame anyone who could, motorcycles are as individual as it gets but that built in governor on the 18s is a show stopper for me.

I'm damn disappointed the Bs don't make 25 more HP than they do. No doubt Honda could have done so and probably would have done so if Joe Boyd was still alive and designing GLs for the American public, but he's not, sadly. So the 2016s appeared to be the best effort Honda was going to make. If I rode solo all the time I would have bought a new FJR or perhaps a Rocket, but the B seemed to offer the best mix of two-up all day comfort, cornering ability, power and dependability out there.

I literally waited over a decade with money in my pocket for Honda to make a 130-170 rear wheel HP, naked, no-governor, 6 speed two-up touring Valk that would pass everything except a gas pump and still be good for 900 mile days, 20 years and 300,000 miles. Sadly, today's Honda, like HD seems more interested in appearing fast than being fast. Of course I considered the Beamers but I needed a bike that would last the rest of my life, had local dealer support and wouldn't break down. That dropped the Beamer out of the running and made the Rocket seem a bit sketchy too.

Concerning sales of the 2018s.
    If Honda removed the speed governor, bumped up the HP and made all the power available in any gear, at any speed and started a "No Limits" advertising campaign I think they'd sell better than any GL ever built.
    We lost our one BMW motorcycle dealer in the area. I think the next closest dealer is in Troy, NY, near Albany ... a 200 mile drive from Rochester.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6

Quiet, Chrome Exhaust

Quote Originally Posted by DarkKnt View Post
    As it is, I have a very special "1 model year only" bike (black/chrome exhaust)...
    I sure miss the quieter pipes on my 2013. I had no idea how enjoyable a long trip could be on a nearly silent motorcycle.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    We lost our one BMW motorcycle dealer in the area. I think the next closest dealer is in Troy, NY, near Albany ... a 200 mile drive from Rochester.
    In my personal experience, a BMW needs to have a dealer nearby. But an F6B can go for years without seeing a dealer as long as UPS or FedEx can find your house.

As this site is primarily an F6B board and most of us ride them, just curious as to whether some have checked the GoldWing club site for the opinions from GW riders as to what they think of the 2018's???...I suppose I should visit the web-site myself, but perhaps a few have done so and could offer their concerns and feelings about the next "generation" of GoldWings....Regards

I own a F6B and a 1800 Goldwing. as far as the new 2018. No Thanks. Would not trade my old model for a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    I have that too. Did not realize that was a one year only model! Another reason to just keep on truckin' with mine. That, and the accessories I have added have basically made it a bike just for me!
    Hmmm, I thought black with chrome exhaust was available for 2013 and 2014. I thought there were 6 different F6B color combos, 4 of which were single year versions. Black and matte silver were the only ones available for more than one model year.

2013: Black/chrome, Red/chrome
    2014: Black/chrome, Yellow/chrome
    2015: Matte silver/black, Blue/black
    2016: Matte silver/black, matte white/black

In the wild I think I've seen more black/chrome than any other color. Black/chrome was my first choice but I got impatient and settled for a fast red.
    Riding the upward spiral.

Quote Originally Posted by OlyF6B View Post
    July '18, I was in Northeast Oregon - riding in the area for a day or so... and saw a new GW at an intersection. Rider and passenger (M & F) of "rider proportions" one often sees out there on the highways... riding GWs or other large displacement touring scoots. Gotta say, it was almost comical viewing the two on the new GW... the overall proportions were way out of wack... ("too little bike..." IMHO). I too think Honda made an error in the styling area. For the kind of $$ they're asking, there are other viable options that are "sized" appropriately for 2-up riding.
    Like two bears on a bicycle at the circus.