Great ride today
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Great ride today

Great ride today

All five Grandsons were at the house yesterday along with a couple of my sons and their families. We played "call of duty" till 4 AM and laughed till our faces hurt. Then it was a big breakfast of bacon, sausage and eggs to get the day started.

Around noon I headed out for a motorcycle ride through my favorite place on earth, Rural Indiana.

I took some of the same back roads around Raccoon SRA (Cecil M. Harden Lake) that my Dad loved driving in his pickup 50-55 years ago. Man those memories of riding with him (and Mom) in that truck are as fresh as spring grass when I'm riding on the same rough old country roads we used to drive. We went back and forth on those roads with boats, campers, coolers and lawnchairs way back then.

In those days my brothers would sit in lawn chairs in the bed of Dad's truck and drink beer on the way to the lake and on the way home that night. I was maybe 10 and thought I was some kinda king getting to ride in the truck bed with them. Obviously that was before the "do gooders" ruined the world. And just in case you're wondering, the driver never drank and the drinkers never drove.

Today I rode past a couple of Amish teenagers walking down a gravel road holding hands. I rode past dogs, chickens, tractors, buzzards, boats, creeks and woods. Then it was time for some twisty highways ridden at the slightly slower wintertime pace nearly invisible sand on the road requires.

By the time I was close to home the wind was picking up, some rain was hitting the windshield and I even saw a little lightning. Man I love riding in that kind of weather but the bike was still mostly clean and I had work to do so I forced her to turn into the driveway.

Funny, I don't have the patience to drive a car or truck 50 miles but when I throw a leg over a good motorcycle the wind calls me like a moth to a flame.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Nice! Very, very nice!

That is awesome - thanks so much for sharing it!
    Americana at its finest!

I envy your great ride, I have been hoping and planning a ride on my beautiful beast for this weekend. Lots to give thanks for and the sun is steady at 70 degrees. The gremlins have all taken the day off and nothing should stand between me and a 200 mile ride to heaven. Well except for that one little detail. I tore three tendons in my right forearm. It will take 4-6 week’s to heal. I’m tempted to go anyway and screw the pain. My better judgement, takes over and demands that I live vicariously through my bagger compatriots. So if you have great riding stories , please keep them coming.

Riding season is basically over in Wisconsin. Unless you like riding in snow, salt and ice. Yesterday, I got my nice, yummy deer, to munch on, over the cold months! Going back out hunting again, during the anterless only hunt, soon! More venison jerky on the way!

I want some of that venison jerkey!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighutch14 View Post
    I want some of that venison jerkey!
    +1 & +2

If I'm fortunate enough to shoot another big brown "road hazard", I'll bring some jerky and sausage to the next rally. It helps to increase a persons thirst!

Quote Originally Posted by jm21ddd15 View Post
    Riding season is basically over in Wisconsin. Unless you like riding in snow, salt and ice. Yesterday, I got my nice, yummy deer, to munch on, over the cold months! Going back out hunting again, during the anterless only hunt, soon! More venison jerky on the way!
    Congrats. No deer in the freezer here yet but I ain't done trying.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    Congrats. No deer in the freezer here yet but I ain't done trying.
    plenty of BIG DEER in Indiana. Good luck! We still have an antlerless hunt, and a black powder season coming up. Of course, bow season goes thru the end of the year. Way too many deer on our Wisconsin roads. Right now, at the end of the "rut", the roadsides are plastered with road kill deer. What a waste, when we could be munching them!