Gryroscopic or flywheel effect - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gryroscopic or flywheel effect

On my Valkyrie, keeping the revs up while slipping the clutch and pushing the engine against the rear brake created much better low speed stability. A large percentage of the time I was able to come to a complete stop at stop signs without dropping a foot using this technique. The only downside was nearly getting rear ended by cagers who didn't realize I was stopped a time or two. During a slow race in (I think Paducah Kentucky) I saw a Valk rider keep his bike stopped for several seconds, several times while using this technique. This rider only had one arm, by the way.

Although the Valk and the B both sport horizontally opposed 6 cylinder engines the technique doesn't work nearly as well on my B. I attribute the difference to the linked brakes.

My company sent me to Bike Week in Daytona a few years ago to help man a Hog Halters/AirFX booth in the Bruce Rossmeyer area at Daytona. (Yes, I parked my Valk in front of the booth everyday ) Jerry the Motorman of Ride Like A Pro fame had an area next to us so I watched them ride and talked to them daily. They said they rode HDs to this event and Goldwings to non HD events and it sounded as if both bikes worked equally well. These folks are true artists when it comes to the "slipping the clutch and keeping the revs up school of riding" since they teach it.

So, I do know the technique works well on other flat sixes but not so well on our B's which is why I blame the linked brakes. Really wish there was a fool proof way to stop the front from coming on with the rear with the flip of a switch. Both for slow speed riding and for riding on gravel roads.
    Last edited by Frye; 12-10-2018 at 08:12 PM.
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.
    And... moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue.''
    -- Barry Goldwater, Acceptance Speech at the Republican Convention; 1964

I overcame the necessity of having to put the feet down by adding a third wheel to my F6b. How ever gyroscopic procession is still a factor. The handlebars have to be held in the turn until completed.

Riding a Goldwing is like opening a can of testosterone.
    Go Green - Recycle Congress!!!!