Synthetic or Dino? - Page 6
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Synthetic or Dino?

Subie Oil Consumption

Quote Originally Posted by VStarRider View Post
    Dave, it does not appear that most 2011 Outbacks were impacted by oil consumption. That being said, my neighbor has a 2012, and his uses oil just not at the rate mine does. I just tell everyone I own a two-stroke Subie.

Here is some basic information on the oil consumption lawsuit; your buddy may be interested:

https://www.cars.com/articles/2011-1...1420683845519/

Ironically, I think my Forester was traded in for a RAV4 for the same reason!

I have had the oil consumption test done, and have qualified for the 8 year/100k warranty on oil consumption. However, after discussing it with several mechanic friends, I have chosen not to have some dealership monkey tear my flat-4 apart to replace half the motor. Nooooo thank you. There are plenty of horror stories out there about this whole event turning into a shitshow. Subaru has ended up replacing several engines because the dealers cannot do the job right. I will just keep adding oil at a rate that I consider to be reasonable. Like I said, I really do not care, but I know I am in the minority.
    His Outback had the 3.6L H-6 engine, which wasn't listed in that bulletin. He still had a ridiculous level of oil consumption. You'd think the issue might exist in other engines if they were designed by the same engineers.

Interestingly, this circles back to the ZDDP issue. The concern was that in older engines with higher oil consumption, more of the phosphorus in ZDDP would make its way into the exhaust and poison the catalyst prematurely. With such high oil consumption on low mileage engines, I'd think Subaru would be concerned about this issue since they have to warranty the cats through 100,000 miles.

Strange. That is the first report of excessive oil consumption I have heard from the 3.6 flat-6. Maybe because those engines only ended up in about 10% of Outbacks? Not sure. My neighbor's Out-B has the 2.5 flat-4, but it is a slightly different version than the one used in the Foresters.
    Former Ride:
    2013 F6B Standard, black; sold 7/2019
    Latest Addition:
    2016 Gold Wing Level 3, red; SCT transmission stuck in manual mode
    2019 Miles:
    7,900 as of 10/6