Synthetic or Dino?
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic or Dino?

Synthetic or Dino?

Oil change time. I have always used synthetic motor ( any brand), but every time, I wonder if I am just wasting money.
    Honda doesn't require it and even the dealership service managers don't push it. I do it because I feel it's better for the bike.
    Yes, it will run cooler and maybe smoother but does it really make a difference in the end?
    Last edited by Big TP; 12-13-2018 at 04:17 PM.

Make me also feel better, so worth it just for the feeling. I have been riding mini bikes to drag racing bikes often told in crazy wild ways since 1973. I has 3 different drag racing bikes over 5 years
    Since 1982 only one bike I did not run synthetic and only one big engine bearing issue, yep same bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Big TP View Post
    Oil change time. I have always used synthetic motor ( any brand), but every time, I wonder if I am just wasting money.
    Honda doesn't require it and even the dealership service managers don't push it. I do it because I feel it's better for the bike.
    Yes, it will run cooler and maybe smoother but does it really make a difference in the end?
    Oil threads/opinions can get very boring and lengthy with hundreds of different opinions....Run what you feel comfortable with and enjoy the ride......Regards

Whatever you do, stay away from that Rotella stuff...

Quote Originally Posted by opas ride View Post
    oil threads/opinions can get very boring and lengthy with hundreds of different opinions....run what you feel comfortable with and enjoy the ride......regards
    exactly!!!!

Like I mentioned, not looking for a "long and boring debate" on brands or weights. Just an observation if in the "long run", does it really matter?
    Would an engine failure occur regardless of using the spec oil that Honda recommends or "upgrading" to syn?
    I assume the engine tolerances have not really changed otherwise syn would be required.
    Point is there are many 1800 motors out there well over 100k miles that surely never ran syn.
    Just an observation.
    Maybe I should have simply asked, "which do you run and why?'
    Last edited by Big TP; 12-13-2018 at 07:36 PM.

Syn for the win!
    2013 F6B ---Nimitz Class Battle Sofa

I figure companies spend millions of dollars designing and engineering their product. They install a premium motor oil in the product. So why people send $20 and think it is better than what factory recommends. I just don't understand.

Someone should ask the question, of all the combustible engines ever built on planet earth, how many have failed or had drastic shorter lifespans due to oil preference. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say not enough to ever worry about it.

Being that the oil filter and rear shaft lube are so easy to change, experiment a little to see which one you like best. I bought a case of Honda Full Synthetic 10-30 and K&N motorcycle oil filters. Using them now until gone. Not to sure about 10-30 down in sunny Florida. Will change to Full Synthetic 10-40 by Mobil 1 for motorcycles or Valvoline 10-40 for motorcycles as it is readily available at Wally World. Filter wise, I would stick with the OEM Honda, K&N or HiFlow. And yes, there is a difference in motorcycle oil filters from automotive oil filters. Fortunately it really doesn’t matter as the GL1800 only revs to 6k rpm.